Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:53 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aran View Post
I hear there's something wrong with the ones who like them though.
Voices in your head don't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 01:23 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
I bought one house in a HOA community and it will be my last. I found the HOA board members mostly running things for their own benefit. Although there was a mix of age groups, families, singles, and couples the board members had children that everything was geared to their children. When one neighbor was in violation of the covenants all the HOA could do was write a letter. Their charter had a lot of rules but no enforcement clause rending the entire thing moot. The membership fees went to pay for the pool and clubhouse. I at least thought there would be some time for adults to enjoy the pool before schools ended their semester but I found the pool loaded with children from the day it opened. I asked why the children weren't in school and was told these were home schooled children.
That was my first and last experience with HOA's.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:03 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,163 times
I personally am moving back to my home state due to the fact its cheaper, and there are no HOAS!

Old 09-05-2010, 09:33 AM

412 posts, read 1,229,046 times
Default HOA - extreme situation

Do homeowner regulations go too far? | StarNewsOnline.com

This HOA situation recently happened in my city.

I'm searching for a house to buy, and still undecided on whether I want to live in a neighborhood with an HOA or not. I don't have a problem following the rules to keep my home in decent shape. A large % of the neighborhoods in my price range are HOA neighborhoods.

But the idea that someone could take my house away for infractions and fines makes me want to stay away from an HOA. They guy in the above article paid almost $50K in fines, and they still foreclosed on his house because he owed over $20K.

Last edited by wilmingtonangel; 09-05-2010 at 10:10 AM..

Old 09-05-2010, 11:21 AM

43,264 posts, read 77,043,330 times
//www.city-data.com/blogs/blog1...s-happens.html

Old 09-11-2010, 09:33 PM

688 posts, read 1,489,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I do not understand this. A home of any sort, almost anywhere, imposes financial and behaviorial obligations on the occupants.

It is impossible/impractical to withhold services in most HOAs without impacting all homeowners including those who are current with their association fees.

They took him to court is not the same thing as taking his house. The homeowner has a choice in all this. Honor the obligation and pay the "piddly" HOA fee and be done with it.

The potential consequences associated with failure to pay HOA assessments should not come as a surprise to anyone, in an HOA. I am at a loss when those who choose to buy into an HOA and live by HOA rules become out of sorts, when consequences are imposed when they choose to not live within those rules and/or pay their assessments.

As an aside, if you do not pay your property taxes, you will lose your home.

Not all HOAs are alike. They tend to be a reflection of the majority of people who call it home.
I am going to calmly ask you this (it is obvious I think HOA's suck big time, but I will try to be objective here - not). Even if one generally agrees with HOA rules, I still don't see why there are draconian rules of not being able to fly American (or any flag, Confederate, Iranian, Russian, Lesotho, Swastika, Cuban, whatever... nah, just being a smarty, we'll stick with Old Glory) flags or putting up signs welcoming home troops from Iraq, Afghanistan, wherever. I think Donald Trump had the right idea, telling his "HOA" (puke!) to shove it where the sun don't shine. Seriously, doesn't things of that nature go to far?

Old 09-12-2010, 12:58 AM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I have a well kept home in a nice neighborhood............but if I were in a HOA I would be in trouble.

I have a big, fenced in back yard.......chain link. At one point, I had 4 large dogs and five cats at the same time. My cats are indoor only.........my dogs were indoor dogs. I let them out when I was home to run and play........ poop and bark. Now, if it was late at night and they started to bark.......I made them come in the house. If the neighbors were having a BBQ, etc., I didn't let my dogs out there to bark endlessly.........I brought them in the house. I don't think there is a HOA anywhere that would have allowed me to have four big dogs. {Three were strays and one was my father's.....he passed away.}

Right now, I have 6 indoor cats........the dogs have passed away.........but, if I find a stray dog and want to keep it......I can.........no matter what kind of dog it is.

I have a yard tractor, when it breaks down, it usually take two to three weeks to get it back.........so my yard will be overgrown for awhile..........bad enough I have to pay for the tractor repair, let alone a fine.

The lady across the street got divorced this year........her husband took the tractor..........the yard has not looked good this summer.........that is OK with me.........I know she is having a hard time. She gets friends to mow it for her, not often enough and not neatly..........that is OK with me........she is trying..........I would hate it if she had to pay a fine.

Someone new bought the house next to mine about 10 years ago. He cut down just about every tree in his yard.......it made me sick.........but, I can have all of the trees I want in my yard........and I can let the branches hang low........the way I like them.

It's all about freedom.

I repped ya and I want you for my neighbor.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I generally don;t like the idea of tehm but in this day and age will be buying in a HOA area the next home we buy. In fact that and gated communities have become mroe the norm in mnay places.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:11 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
There are perks and hassles about buying into a community with an HOA fee. We never even looked at HOA properties. We want to do what we want and not have someone breathing down our necks.
I worked for a doctor who bought a townhouse in a community with an HOA. When he wanted to sell he went about his business and planted a couple of flowers right at HIS door. A neighbor complained, he had to rip out his landscaping because under the HOA agreement, that was not allowed. ugh... If you buy a home, it's YOUR home - or so it should be and that is why I'd never buy into an HOA community.

ON THE other hand... pictures above speak volumes. An HOA community will never be a disaster area.

If you like having rules to live by when you buy a home then an HOA may be for you.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:16 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I could never live in anything with a HOA, I love my clothesline way too much for that !!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate