Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:00 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,081,999 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Chicago in 2011.

My wife's parents will be moving from Pittsburgh to Chicago to join us.
My parents will be moving from Philadelphia to join us

So by the end of 2011 we will be buying three places.
My parents are high rise city dwellers so will move near the city in an area called the 'gold coast'. We like to live about a mile further out, will be looking for a home with a yard in an area called Lincoln Park. The in laws will be buying a condo in the near 'burbs with mass transit into the city. Most likely Evanston.

I'm guessing that between the three of us we will spend at least $2M.

Should I try to coordinate with one realtor or should I deal with three different Realtors, since each person has very different requirements?
Or should I deal with a major name and coordinate with say Prudential and ask them to have the three agents work together?

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 08:26 AM

15,617 posts, read 40,595,266 times
Lincoln Park and Evanston are two totally different markets. You will need different real estate agents for those. Not sure what other area you will be looking at.

Seriously get agents that know those local markets and know them well. Agents from different companies can talk to each other too. Pick good individual agents. Forget going with a big company just for the sake of going with a big company. Pick the best agents you can find...regardless of company.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 AM

11,857 posts, read 34,540,710 times
There may be one, or there could be more than one. Interview several. Pick the best one for the job at hand.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,670,372 times
I think the couple looking at Evanston (although I really have to say that is a bit of an odd choice...) might be better served by a real estate agent that works that market exclusively.

I see no problem using the same real estate agent for Gold Coast & Lincoln Park, lots of over lap there.

You realize that the commuting distance and paths from Evanston even with mass transit are nothing special. As the inlaws retired? Evanston is very pricey, and really would not be noticeably different than condo living in similar parts of Chicago itself...

Old 01-05-2010, 08:29 AM

17,892 posts, read 14,913,614 times
Those are 3 completely different markets.

You definitely need 3 separate agents.

(PS - I grew up in Chicago and lived in Evanston for a period ... I know exactly where you're talking about and you definitely need 3 agents.)

Old 01-05-2010, 08:31 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,081,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think the couple looking at Evanston (although I really have to say that is a bit of an odd choice...) might be better served by a real estate agent that works that market exclusively.

I see no problem using the same real estate agent for Gold Coast & Lincoln Park, lots of over lap there.

You realize that the commuting distance and paths from Evanston even with mass transit are nothing special. As the inlaws retired? Evanston is very pricey, and really would not be noticeably different than condo living in similar parts of Chicago itself...
1) inlaws are retired
2) Would like to be able to walk to a market
3) would like mass transit

4) I don't want them too close. They drive me nuts

Old 01-05-2010, 08:53 AM

You really need to realize that there are LOTS more options than Evanston. Honestly if they like to walk and you are worried about too far you could look to South Loop, West Loop, River North and probably half a dozen other areas that are still "not too close" to Lincoln Park.

If you had to sell 'em on a condo I think you will have an easier time in Chicago than Evanston unless they have more to spend than you do and want something in Evanston near Lake Michigan or some ties to Northwestern...

There is a GLUT of overbuilding in Chicago that is unprecedented and will result in much better pickin's then Evanston or any other desirable town. It would be much easier for an experienced buyers agent to know the broad retiree market in all parts of desirable Chicago areas for both your parents and in-laws, as well as being familar with more family oriented option for you.

The sticking point(s) I would see might include the difficulty of both sets of parents getting equally "good deal" but that is something that I hope you have a strategy to deal with -- could create more tension if you are seen as orchestrating a "better deal" for one side of the grandparents.

You might end up with a marriage counselor!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:18 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,558,534 times
I don't know the Chicago area, so maybe that is true.

HOWEVER, I would say that getting an experienced agent who is familiar with market activity is the most important thing. That might mean getting 3 agents, but not necessarily.

In my area (admittedly, much smaller than Chicago), the good agents are familiar with not only the Boise metro, but also Meridian, Eagle, Kuna, Nampa, Caldwell, and many smaller communities in the area. That is about a 30 mile distance over 2 counties. Just because it is a different town, doesn't mean the same agent may not know the area.

Don't let the "get more than one agent" mindset override the "get a GOOD agent" idea.

The exception to this would obviously be if they are separate MLS's. In that case, the agent may not have access to information, and you may HAVE to have different agents.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:36 AM

Default Well in that case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
Wanted two different views.
Real estate agents - who would have views from the agents perspective
Chicago Natives - Who would have experiance working with agents.

I would like to hear the pros and cons from both sides.

As I formerly made a living as a real estate agent, I will comment on the agent aspects here. (I talked about the Chicago specifics in other thread).

The biggest plus for YOU and the agent is that commission on TWO condo of about $500k each and a SFH of about $1M is going to pay for a lot of gas, emails and phone calls -- you ought to be able to basically have a "got to" guy or gal that is really responsive. Now it might be a little tricky to get an agent to fully commit to this situation (for starters they'd be right to worry that one or both set of parents might go flakey...) and as the weather improves and (hopefully) market improves the agent might be tempted to try and knock off some easier sales (never all that much fun getting involved in knotty family issues) BUT I still think this could make sense.

The biggest negative is scheduling / emotion-- assume you are out of town now and get into town together this agent will need a BUS to get everybody to showing and then you are dragging around SIX or more potential deal killers instead the more usual husband /wife "dynamic duo of doubts"...

The best situation MIGHT be with a "team" either husband/wife or "paired agents" that can devote the kind of resources needed to get THREE DEALS to close in a short time frame AND smooth over the inevitable frayed nerves of relocating THREE households over several states!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:47 AM

15,617 posts, read 40,595,266 times
I completely disagree with Chet. I'm from the Chicago area orignally and went to school at NU in Evanston. You NEED different agents for Lincoln Park and Evanston. If you are strictly looking for a door opener than his idea has merit. If you are looking for an agent to really know the scoop on the local market. Different agents.

This isn't about expenses. It's about good real estate service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate