Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

go to the local bldg dept and get the permits for the septic system repair or installation. That should tell you exactly what was done, if it was indeed done under permit. If it was not done under permit, the bldg dept will most likely have to inspect and approve it before the property can change hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 09:18 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
go to the local bldg dept and get the permits for the septic system repair or installation. That should tell you exactly what was done, if it was indeed done under permit. If it was not done under permit, the bldg dept will most likely have to inspect and approve it before the property can change hands.

Septic systems are governed by the Health Dept. on the County level not the building department. (township)

Old 01-02-2010, 09:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
Septic systems are governed by the Health Dept. on the County level not the building department. (township)
depends on your location. where I used to work, the bldg dept issued bldg permits. Engineered systems had to be approved by the HD then passed to the bldg dept for permits.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:32 PM

17,418 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Forget it.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:15 AM

63 posts, read 136,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
The county health board was already notified that the system is broken.{quote New Blood}

If this is the case, then I believe the seller has 72 hours to be under contract with a contractor to have this repaired. I think it must be done within 30 days.

Like I previously said... the Seller is up against the wall on this.

Although a d-box may be optional, I would have one installed to help regulate the latteral flow, and to access the latterals for possible future cleaning and repairs.

I also believe that the abandoned system must be removed. It is considered contaminated soil. Is this property flat or sloped?
Hey Sergio.

The property is almost completely flat save for a smallish portion of the backyard. I do not have the survey at this time but I am sure of it. I believe that the gutters outflow on one side of the house point directly to the septic system's absorption field as well.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:52 AM

472 posts, read 854,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlood View Post
Hey mcm2010.

The house was built in 1965. The septic system we checked was the correct one - the pipes in the bathroom lead to it as does the kitchen. The inspectors used some sort of metal dye and a locator device to track the flow of the system (although the locator 'pill' was unable to flow down the toilet because the toilet was not flushing). I had it pumped/refilled as well as part of my septic inspection recommendation. They were very thorough in the inspection - using digital cameras, draining/pumping the tank, checking the outflow, and absorption field too. The inspection group is also an independant group - they do not work for any agency, they do not repair or manufacture septic tanks - nor recommend any one group to do so. They have no reason to lie on the report either, so I believe them completely in that they say the system is in a bad way.

There was no map to show us where the system was located - it took them about 30 minutes to locate the port to the septic treatment tank due to the very poor drainage from the house to the tank. The port was also not 'up to standards'. The inspector himself told me that the system looked like it was installed unprofessionally - like someone put it together with cheap home depot parts. I wish he wrote that on the report!

If there is a second tank (unknown as of yet) this is the first I am being made aware of it. I will want to know why it wasn't removed if it is still there - and most likely will have to seek legal advice as to what to do at this stage of negotiations - as we have just entered that phase today.

Ah - so is it normal that the sewage from the treatment tank to the absorption field flows back? I have lived with public sewer/water my entire life save for when I was a child - and the septic system my parents had then was nightmarish. I ask because I have asked this problem to be fixed by the seller - as it does not sound like something I should be happy about.

No, this is not normal. If you're absorption fields (drainfields, leachlines) are flowing back into the tank after pumping, then there is poor permeability in the soil for one reason or another. If there is nowhere for the effluent to go, it goes back to the tank, then can back into the house.

OR, the drainfields were installed at a higher elevation than the tank sits and you don't have the "fall" or "gradient" you should have (think gravity) and the effluent is coming back into the tank. If that's the case, you would have to have a pump tank force the effluent to the higher elevated drainfields. If this system was inspected by the county, though, that's unlikely that is the case, so it brings me back to the soil's permeability and the possibility of bad soil.

This is exactly what ours is (still) doing (after repairs), and it's not a good sign at all for you.

Even if you had a whole new system and new absorption field installed, I have valid concern that the new system would fail, too, due to poor soil properties (ie. not "perking" or poor permeability). Especially if the owners did have a new system installed or repairs done, and it still isn't working properly. Huge red flags.

If you do decide to move forward on this house, get an independent soil scientist out there asap. Level 3 soil test, or system failure study.

I would walk on this house, even if the owners offer to repair this, because, with septics, there are no guaranteed fixes, nor a quick repair.

Last edited by mcm2010; 01-03-2010 at 06:18 AM..

Old 01-03-2010, 06:44 AM

Thank you VERY VERY much mcm2010! I don't want this house any longer - but if the sellers do offer to repair the septic system I believe I will be forced to purchase it anyway. The sellers are going to have to basically fix every I asked for on my repair list including the septic system - which I also hope means bringing it up to the current code requirements - in order for me to proceed onward.

I also intend to let me bank know (underwriters) that I am not confident I can make my payments as currently projected and take on the responsibility of a second large loan to fix the septic system should it fail in the near future again. I really do not want to move forward on this house, which is a shame because I do like it's location and layout - but the cost of that septic system is just too much for me financially.

Thanks again for responding!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:28 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If you have reservations it would foolish to move forward. Very hard to sort out all the issues, but it seems like there are enough concerns from the inspection to get out of the contract and have your earnest money returned. I would have your agent communicate your desire to be released from the contract ASAP. The only lawyer I would talk to at this point is one to help the seller see that you no longer feel good about moving forward with this house because of the results of the inspection and the concerns with the truthfulness of "new" septic system(s)...

Maybe there is another buyer that can handle the costs, or potential costs, but honestly if you feel you cannot and move forward that is financial suicide.

If the seller tries to hang on to your earnest money it is probably going to more hassle than he wants as all messiness about the septic system will then enter the public record. This is something your attorney can use to speed things along...

Good Luck!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If you have reservations it would foolish to move forward. Very hard to sort out all the issues, but it seems like there are enough concerns from the inspection to get out of the contract and have your earnest money returned. I would have your agent communicate your desire to be released from the contract ASAP. The only lawyer I would talk to at this point is one to help the seller see that you no longer feel good about moving forward with this house because of the results of the inspection and the concerns with the truthfulness of "new" septic system(s)...

Maybe there is another buyer that can handle the costs, or potential costs, but honestly if you feel you cannot and move forward that is financial suicide.

If the seller tries to hang on to your earnest money it is probably going to more hassle than he wants as all messiness about the septic system will then enter the public record. This is something your attorney can use to speed things along...

Good Luck!
Thanks Chett. I have no intention of staying on with this house, although I am still interested in seeing the permits for the septic repairs and whatnot. At this point I don't care about losing the earnest money - while it will set me back a bit it is nothing compared to the costs of trying to remedy a bad septic system. I wouldn't actually mind if the sellers had it as it would help them fix some of the issues wrong with the house if a less concerned buyer should come along, but I don't think I am going to be that type of buyer.

Thanks again for responding, and thanks to everyone for their advice. I should have my answer by Tuesday or so this week I think, and hopefully be out of the contract by then.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:05 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,524 times
Don't leave your money on the table. It's bad enough you spent money on the inspections and wasted your time. The owner should re-imburse you for it.

I still can't imagine that a septic would be allowed unless the ground perc was acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate