Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 01:50 PM

77 posts, read 174,559 times

Advertisements

ok, ill keep this short. basicly, i lived in apt for 10 years. section8, but im one of the few that paid every montsh rent on time,in full( have ALL rent reciepts to prove that) i am a neat freak that cleaned up after other neighbors when they moved, so it didnt look bad outside my door.
ok,i signed a lease with the owner back in feb 98.he was great, always repaired the place,etc.he retired and moved 6 years after i moved in, i was now to deal with Award properties, Earl Ward mgr.well this guy is the epitomy of an ass..not only would he not do repairs, he would bug me to sleep with him for rent reduction.i always turned him down, but didnt turn him in.( should have though)
i had been asking for carpets for a while, they werent new when i moved in 1998, i also offered to paint the apt if i could take the cost of paint off the rent, he said no on that, ok.no big.( i ended up painting it anyway, but didnt take it out of my rent) so one day, i was talking to the owner and asked him about carpets within 10 minutes this mgr hands me an eviction notice! well i fought it in court, WON my case on the grounds this mgr had no right to sue.( owner didnt want me out) so this mgr goes and FORGES the owners name and refiles.
in the mean time, my sec8 inspection came up and it didnt pass. the building was collapsing in starting next door ( 2 story, 2 bed apt,sharing a common wall with next door.like a townhouse) that apt hadnt passed sec8 since the mgr took over, my did because my dad and i did the repairs (minor) ourselfs. so sec8 refused to pass it, i moved out to keep my sec8.now this mgr jerk off wont give me backmy sec dep, he refused to do a walk thru with me so my laywer told me to take good video of the apt, showing the way i left it. i did. i left it clean, no trash, no holes in walls or broken anything.i was there 3 days past the first, so if anything, he should prorate for three days.
ok, now, i was told that if he accepted rent after serving me notice, then the eviction was considered of. not true, i paid rent, he accepted it.that same time my furnace and water heater went out,so i waited 2 weeks (holidays,everything was closed) for my lawyer, he said 'since the gas co redtagged it, you can replace it.the money i would have peid for rent, i paid the laywers office.
this is so ongoing, this mgr filed bankruptcy but didnt claim me on it, hes just tying up the courts.
what do i do? i have video .i have a reciept for returning the keys.i have 10 years worth of paid reciepts..all i ant is my desposit or at least a reason why.now im not stupid, im sure ill never see a dime, but ill be damned if im gonna let this guy get away ith tortious acts! hes been doing this stuff to other tenant,im very glad to be rid of his nasty rodent behind, but i have health problems from the toxic mold to this day.
sorry it was long, thanks for your time.im in santa maria, ca
Attached Thumbnails
what can i do about a slumlord? besides pull out my hair..-dadscomputer-001.jpg  

Last edited by sebringxxxlovr; 01-07-2010 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: adding info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 03:35 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Why don't you just file a claim in small claims court. It's like $100 here to file.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:53 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,436,540 times
Look up landlord tenant board in your county. Or call the HUD Section 8 People, or call the owner, he is responsible.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:52 AM

i have. i won the unlawfull detainer, first case, the demur ( spelled that wrong) is pending.he forged the owners name and refilled, im not sure what happens with that.he filed bankruptcy to get out of paying his wife that divorced him, so thats why its tying me up in court.im not really clear on all technicalitys here, im not a laywer, though ill be smarter than most folks when this mess is done.
what gets me is he filed bankruptcy under the award properties /earl ward name, then turns around and opens a morgage company? i thought you couldnt do that, dont you have to have collateral or be insured to open a mortgage company? he let mels ( owner of my old apt) business go to pot, then files bankruptcy and opens his own morgage company?
none of the apt he manage will pass section 8 inspections, but he rents them anyway.he knows of black and green toxic mold and rents anyway.for what he charges the new tenants, he could have paid me..
its a matter of principal, this guy rents to single ladies then asks them for 'favors' in return for rent.i rented the apt from mel stein, a very good respctable man, earl wasnt in the picture till i was there for 6 years.when earl took over, he tried to invite himself over, to give me break on my rent, i turned him down.everytime.not only because hes a troll, but because im not stupid. i have paid rent reciepts for every single month i lived there. he is so used to women tradeing favors for rent that when he throws them out, they have no choice but to leave. well, i pay my rent with money orders, not with sex.so ive ben fighting this.and i won the first case, i only moved because section8 wouldnt pass the apt, earl refused to fix it, if i wanted to kep my sec8 in good standing, i moved.sec8 has nothing to do with deposits, ive already tried every angle possible.my laywer is my best option.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 9,262 times
I just heard that Earl Ward was arrested for elder abuse - stealing/scamming 300,000 from an elderly lady. I think you need to contact the police or the prosecuter in this case as it speaks for what type of person he is and may help in his conviction. What he did you you was extortion (sp?). Hope it gets better for you.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 AM

i will. i knew something was wrong when mel stein, the owner of the apt, all the sudden couldnt/wouldnt talk to me, earl had him under his thumb!! im calling EVERYONE i can think of to get this jerk put away

Old 03-05-2010, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 9,262 times
Best of luck to you sebring! His evil past is going to catch up with him - it's called Karma and it can be a *****! What a scumbag!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:59 PM

thanks rosepatrick, im a BIG beliver in karma.. im not gonna let his bad attitude and laughable bully tactics scare me, ive done everything by the letter. see, the owner loved me, earl hated that. i wouldnt crawl to earl to beg for the most basics, id just call mel.
i have no doubt in my mind he has done mel the way he has done this poor woman, what kind of a punk scares elderly people that are afraid to fight back? earl.God dont like ugly!!!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 PM

994 posts, read 1,682,000 times
Isn't black mold grounds for eviction due to health hazards?

Old 03-06-2010, 03:50 AM

yes and no, its not grounds for 'eviction' ( landlord evicts a tenant) since the tenant didnt cause the problem, but it is grounds for the TENANT to get out of ,say a one year lease.does that make sense? i was on a month to month and i had section8. MY eviction had nothing to do with the mold, earl tried to evict me without cause because i wouldnt sleep with him and i would not tollerate his 'king jerk' attitude. i signed a lease with mel, the owner, not earl. so until a new lease was signed by all, the original lease i signed with mel held tight.
the owner, mel didnt want me to move, id been there 11 years and always paid my rent on time, in full.what the final FINAL straw for earl was when i called mel and 'what the chances of getting some new carpets in here?' keep in mind, he totally could have said no,but earl got all butt-hurt because i went over his head and that blew earls last little gasket. within the hour, he handed me an eviction notice. dumb ass earl, handed it to me, when he should have filed it with section8.. i won that case, unlawfull eviction because earl was not the man i signed a lease with and mel really didnt want me out.so again, sad little earl began to threaten mel, and went so far as to forge mels name to court dockets and refile.. ( quiz time, how many things has earl done wrong to this point? lol) i am actually still fighting this because earl pulled the old 'file bankruptcy' crap that most landlord hate tenants for doing..earl didnt bother to show for the last court date, ( i wasnt required to be there, i just want to know whats going on.. what earl is doing is wasting the courts time clogging them up with bankruptcys ( that i wasnt claimed in)
oh yeah.. for a gal with no collage edjucation, im getting pretty good learning all the trips, clogs and side steps the law offers, bottom line, THIS IS WHAT I KNOW FOR A FACT. i moved in 2/14/98 moved out 5/3/09 i paid $650 for security deposit when i moved in.
landlords have a certain amount of time in witch they must notify the tenant a detailed list if they want to keep the sec deposit. ( i did pay for the last month i lived there, i did not try use the security for that. my biggest concern was to keep my sec8, so i did everything by the book)
now, i was there 11years. all thats required of me is to have all items/trash out, no broken/ missing stuff,keys returned, etc. earl played 'if you cant find me to return the keys, i can charge another month' nice try, but no.i took very detailed camcorder video when i left.i gave the keys to his son and asked for a reciept for the keys.
still havent heard from earl. i sent a letter demanding my security by certain date or we goto court, he never picked up the letter from post office. TO THIS DAY, i havent heard a word.he knows how to contact me. now when a landlord totally blows you off like this, often a judge will give the tenant treble damages ( $650 X3) for being a jerk and not following the law. but earl filed bankruptcy to clog the court..
nice fellow, aint he just a peach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate