Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:30 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times

Advertisements

Experience also shows that often the place that is NOT "decluttered" in the least has VERY unmotivated sellers -- to the point where even in this depressed market an offer for FULL LIST will sort have 'em say "eh"...

Should these lazy sellers eventually get around to saying "OK, we'll take your offer" these same sleepy headed sellers will then ask for a long close, and odds are on the morning of that close there is still a significant amount of stuff that "they'd love do you have, but they'll take it back if you decide you don't care for it"... In other words a pile of worthless junk that they MIGHT come back for in 6 months...

Whenever you look at a home that the sellers seem way to comfortable having every surface covered with their personal stuff be very cautious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 07:59 AM

229 posts, read 778,776 times
As someone who can see beyond that, I love a house that shows ugly in that regard. It probably drives away others, and I have less competition in driving up the price.

If the house is what I want, I could not care less if they have swastika wall paper, dark purple paint and shag carpet. I would just factor the cost of replacing all that in the offer.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:25 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuenoQueHacemohAhora View Post
As someone who can see beyond that, I love a house that shows ugly in that regard. It probably drives away others, and I have less competition in driving up the price.

If the house is what I want, I could not care less if they have swastika wall paper, dark purple paint and shag carpet. I would just factor the cost of replacing all that in the offer.
Me too. I actually prefer it. Old wall paper, odd colors and filth are cosmetic issues and easy to correct. So long as the seller is motivated to trade, I am game to negotiate.

Having said this, most buyers will not consider places like this.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:15 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
Most of the houses I've truly loved (my market is older) have had hideous paint. Ugly blues, funky greens, purples and pinks. I don't care because I was looking for a house to restore. The house we bought actually has pink and blue walls that won't be staying. I CAN visualize how she'll look restored with beautiful wallcoloring and redone hardwood floors.

If I were in the market for a newer house in move in condition I'd pass on a hideous paint scheme.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:29 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Remember the days when you basically knew that no matter where you moved, everything would have to be re-done, as not everyone has different tastes.
The HGTV era, really have made it out that "Buyers" seem so demanding and really want a home that they can just move in, place their furniture and call it a day.
Last I checked, it don't work that way.

When I moved, the previous owner had nice things, but all the wrong colors, so everything had to be replaced, and I'm sure if I move, the next buyer will have to change everything I have....

What is so hard about imagining your own stuff in someones elses house??????

Old 01-11-2010, 06:55 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Even in this market, a well appointed and decorated home will usually sell faster and for more money than a similar home that is just so-so. And if the similar home is filthy......well there's gold in that filth.

A professional cleaning team can make most places absolutely squeaky clean, in a day.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:05 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,845 times
Out of a dozen or so houses I have owned, how many have I moved in with out redoing? NONE...always like an older home with personality even if it is evil, lol. A good challenge is what I look for and as long as it is structurally sound I am happy. Now as for being a seller right now....I did neutralize it and wish I hadn't since I am still waiting for a buyer....

Old 01-12-2010, 11:25 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Did you ever notice how commercials for paint manufacturers never have Navajo White in their ads? They're always portraying homes with lots of color!

My wife can't visualize anything (so what?), but I can. It's the stuff that makes the world go 'round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate