U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 12:27 PM

35 posts, read 85,847 times

Advertisements

With the economy situation, I have decided to sell my rental property on my own (in Washington state, Island county). I've done some reading and feel comfortable doing it myself. However, I need some directions regarding listing my house in the MLS database. I understand there are websites that offer to list the house in the MLS database for a flat fee. Any catch I need to be aware of? Some websites offer different packages, e.g., MLS listing plus consultation, forms, etc. I'm inclined to go with the full meal deal since this is the first time I'm selling on my own. Also, has anybody have any opinions regarding all the various websites offering the MLS listing service? There are so many sites to choose from and I just want to make sure my money is well spent.

Any input is appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 01:40 PM

89 posts, read 244,517 times
We used fsbo.com about 7 years ago. They gave us some signs for our front yard and some space online. That was about it. We paid for advertising in the newspaper and colored flyers for the front of the house.

For what it's worth, I would never go that route again. It took a really long time for our house to sell. We hardly had anyone come view it. Most people were just nosy and curious. It was a huge waste of time and money. It took us 9 months to sell the house. The only reason it sold was because a friend of a friend knew someone who was moving to the area.

Our current neighbors have had their house FSBO for over 4 years! The house was for sale when we looked at houses in January 2006, and I don't know how long it had already been listed. Seriously...4 years. It is a really nice house too.

Anyway, that's off subject. We used fsbo. It was ok. Even if we had purchased MLS listing, a lot of agents don't want to show your home. You need to go ahead and decide what you are willing to pay a buyer's agent. We had numerous agents who were willing to show our home, but we had to agree to pay them a fee. So if we would have sold it to those buyers, we would have been no better off than if we had just listed with an agent to begin with.

Wow...I sound really bitter. Sorry. I am usually an upbeat, postive person, but selling our house was an awful experience. We've had much better luck selling houses with realtors.

Good luck!!!!

Old 01-13-2010, 01:49 PM

60,651 posts, read 41,598,422 times
I would ask about how many of their local listings closed in 2009 while under the flat fee contract and then ask them to prove it.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:51 PM

20,859 posts, read 41,427,192 times
Make sure that whatever agency you list with that just puts it on the MLS puts it on the MLS in your area - I've heard some horror stories about the listing being on the MLS in the next town, etc.

Do offer a fee to the buyer's agent. If you don't, the buyer will have to pay it, and since with most homes that are listed with an agent, that listing agent offers a portion of the commission that they are getting to the buyer's agent so the buyer doesn't have to pay their agent directly, that is something that a buyer, not the agent, will take into account when deciding what houses to look at. Just figure it into the price that you're asking for the house.

Make sure that you have good SOLD comps when deciding what to ask for your home. What other people are asking are not true comps, not until they've sold and closed.

Make sure that whatever agency you choose to put your listing on the MLS (and in most cases, it IS listed, just a limited service listing, otherwise it couldn't be on the MLS) puts as many photos as possible on the MLS. Good photos, too - I'd hire a professional photographer to take them if I were you, if the company you go with doesn't do that.

Old 01-13-2010, 03:03 PM

15,029 posts, read 37,056,249 times
THL the state of Washington has an MLS that covers the whole state. Only cities on the borders of states like Vancouver, WA tend to post in the NWMLS and the RMLS (which is Portland, OR)

Old 01-13-2010, 03:04 PM

20,859 posts, read 41,427,192 times
Well, that certainly makes life easier!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:30 PM

15,029 posts, read 37,056,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, that certainly makes life easier!

They merged the whole state like 5-6 years ago. It does make things a lot easier.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:23 PM

948 posts, read 2,602,545 times
Research it as if you were a buyer not just a seller then you will get a better feel for what matters most.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:32 PM

10,286 posts, read 20,062,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
THL the state of Washington has an MLS that covers the whole state. Only cities on the borders of states like Vancouver, WA tend to post in the NWMLS and the RMLS (which is Portland, OR)
Wow. That's pretty interesting.

OP, you'll probably be in some sort of limited representation arena to get on MLS so if that is the case find out what they do/don't do for the price. Best of luck selling.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:52 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,801,873 times
In NJ we have IDX ( Internet Data Exchange) this allows your listing to be autopopulated to all the other websites and websites of individual agents, including associates of other Brokers. I do not believe you will get this with a limited service broker. Without IDX you are missing a MAJOR marketing component. These limited service (FSBO) brokers do not work on commission, they charge a flat fee, therefore they have no interest if your home sells or not. Basically, a rip off. JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate