U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 01:21 AM

42 posts, read 81,121 times

Advertisements

What is the typical time-frame it takes a buyer to make an offer on a house they want? Do most of you Agents take the buyer back to your office and write up an offer the same day you showed the property or do most buyers take their time to think it over. I made an offer on my house just after I viewed it but maybe this isn't typical. I'm trying to sell my house now and I'm having some showings, priced right but no offers. Just wondering how long people need to think about it.

Thanks for any opinions
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 07:22 AM

39,573 posts, read 68,619,323 times
It's all over the place.
Some people sleep on it.
Some people pray on it.

Some folks need to talk to their lender if they are near the top of their price range.

Some have seen 20 homes already, and know yours is the one on the first visit.

I have done same day offers, within an hour of showing, and have taken buyers back a couple of weeks later for a 3rd visit before writing an offer.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 AM

422 posts, read 1,368,862 times
ya...there's hardly a "rule of thumb" on such things. all depends on what you're comfortable with. different strokes for different folks.

i've also just seen a place that i absolutely adore..pricing seems right too. however, the property has only just been listed (less than 5 days on the market)...and i don't feel comfortable jumping in right now with an offer....'cos i'm definitely going in with an offer below asking and given that the property is very newly listed....i doubt the seller's would give my offer favorable consideration.

but if i do lose the deal 'cos of my "self imposed" delays....then i only have myself to blame

u make your offer decision based on what you're comfortable with after taking into consideration certain factors...and win/lose the deal....u just have to live with it.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:19 AM

7,238 posts, read 20,186,184 times
There's a saying that the house you see today and think about tonight is the house someone saw yesterday and wrote an offer on today.

Some people think very intensely about houses, while others buy houses emotionally right on the spot. Many times, when a buyer buys emotionally, they're more willing to back out during the inspection period once they think about things more.

Also, the more times someone has to view a house before writing an offer, the more likely they are to NOT write an offer. To see a house so many times, it means there is something they don't like and they're trying to talk themselves into it, and if an offer is finally written, they're less emotionally tied and will also more likely back out during inspections as they're not afraid to lose the house.

You want a buyer in between the emotions above.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:23 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,934,902 times
I lost out on one house because I didn't make my offer fast enough. I had thought and thought about it, and someone else beat me to it. When I had the inside viewing with the realtor for the house that I actually bought, I made the offer that same day and within 30 mins of seeing the house. So, it just really depends on the person making the offer and their past experiences.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:42 PM

359 posts, read 1,059,322 times
Every time I've made an offer (and yes I've made several ), I've made it after looking at several homes in one day, pick the one I want to write on and have her (my realtor) write it up before she left.

Good point about looking at a home several times. The once or twice I've gone back for a second showing, I talk myself out of it.

Going out again Friday so wish me luck! I hear it's a great time to buy (tee hee hee) !

Old 01-19-2010, 04:13 PM

10,377 posts, read 20,183,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCAGal View Post
What is the typical time-frame it takes a buyer to make an offer on a house they want? Do most of you Agents take the buyer back to your office and write up an offer the same day you showed the property or do most buyers take their time to think it over. I made an offer on my house just after I viewed it but maybe this isn't typical. I'm trying to sell my house now and I'm having some showings, priced right but no offers. Just wondering how long people need to think about it.

Thanks for any opinions
Normally yes, occassionally they prefer to sleep on it though so the vast majority are within 24 hours of showing.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:07 PM

38,889 posts, read 43,754,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Normally yes, occasionally they prefer to sleep on it though so the vast majority are within 24 hours of showing.
In most cases Brandon is right about this. If you've had showings with no offers that means it's probably not the home of their dreams. If there was a little interest their agent would have inquired to your agent if you had recieved any offers on the house that was being worked.

Usually no calls means no interest.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:22 PM

10,377 posts, read 20,183,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Some people pray on it.
I've had to deal with this a few times. I have yet for one of them to work out. Maybe I need to start praying with them.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:53 PM

422 posts, read 1,368,862 times
oh dear...i just can't get this particular house out of my head...and every other house that i see...i'd compare them with that one that's in my head. i think i'm in love....noooooooo...i kept telling myself not to fall in love....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate