Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 07:45 PM

512 posts, read 528,610 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your replies to my threads. I find a properties redfin

I contacted the listing agent to learn about the properties.

Some agents responds to my questions, but other asked me to communicate through my agent.

Do I need to involve agent before deciding to take it to next step or not?

What are the reasonable terms agree with agent?

Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 08:18 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,178,942 times
The fact that you are asking these simple questions is enough reason for me to say you do not know what you do not know. Just because you can see a property on Redfin does not mean you know if it is a good home or not. It does not mean that the asking price is correct. You also do not know what other terms and conditions are important (price is not the only factor).

If you plan on having a mortgage, your first step is to qualify through a realible mortgage lender.

You next step is to sit down with an agent that knows the local market and diiscuss your needs & wants. Then put together a plan to make it happen.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:35 PM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
Interview several agents, pick one you feel communicates well with you.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:27 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,594,864 times
You definitely need to get an agent that will represent you. Never go through the listing agent. While dual representation is legal in some states, it's never a good idea, especially if you're a novice.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:26 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,772,727 times
Yes you do. If you knew you didn't need one and knew how to do it yourself you wouldn't ask.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:38 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
While I personally would never use a buyers agent, the OP sounds like a novice thus best he have one.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:41 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,458,661 times
Things may have changed or may be different in different states. But when I last bought a house, it was crazy NOT to use an agent. This is because, typically, the seller's contract with his or her agent required a fee split if you used a buyer agent. For example, if the commission was 6%, 3% went to the buyer's agent. This was to encourage buyers' agents to bring prospective buyers to the house, etc. if you did not have a buyer's agent, the 6% was still paid--but to the seller's agent. So, you wouldn't get a discount on the price, and might even get a worse price, because no pro was representing you, with market knowledge and negotiating skill.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:53 AM

50,385 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Your buyers agent does not cost you anything. Find one you have a good rapport with, and let him/her find what you want.
The agent can get a jump on new listings and can also network with other agents to locate properties before they get snapped up.
We moved out of state and could never have managed in our short time frame without her and her connections to inspectors and mortgage brokers, etc.

My daughter and SIL would have lost the house they just bought, had it not been for their buyers agent.

Last edited by gentlearts; 05-29-2017 at 10:15 AM..

Old 05-29-2017, 10:13 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNCamry99 View Post
Do buyer need an agent ?
In nearly every instance a buyer will be well served by having a good agent.
But what EVERY buyer needs is to have an attorney on board before doing anything.
Before you sign any agent contracts and absolutely before signing any offer contracts.

Quote:
I contacted the listing agent to learn about the properties.
Some agents responds to my questions, but other asked me to communicate through my agent.
Do I need to involve agent before deciding to take it to next step or not?
If your looking is limited to a single and identifiable radius...
you should find a good agent who knows that area to help asap.

First though find that RE attorney and get pre-qualified for a mortgage.

Old 05-29-2017, 10:31 AM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
In the west, attorneys in residential real estate are not common.

In Colorado, our contracts are mandated by the state and they are written in plain English.

I tell my clients upfront, I will let you know when we need to panic. I can see a train wreck coming after 28 years of helping nice folks buy and sell real estate in Denver.

It's the clients choice to hire their friend, coworker, family member with no experience, or they can hire someone with the knowledge and experience to do the work as professionally as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate