Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 10:53 AM

430 posts, read 1,695,227 times

Advertisements

I went to an open house the other day on a house I really like. The agent had your typical vanilla-ish scented candle in the kitchen and I think one or two others in other parts of the house. One of the bedroom windows was open even though it was cold and raining (I was thinking maybe since it was obviously a small child's room, there had recently been a stinky diaper/stinky toddler in there ), though there was no smell. With the candles and the open window, I have to wonder if there is an odor they are trying to mask. Wet climate, so I worry about mold. When I make an appointment to see the house again, do you think asking the agent to ask the seller not to have candles lit would be reasonable, or should they just do whatever they're comfortable with and the inspection down the road will show any problems possibly causing odors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:03 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,446,371 times
I would ask them to nix the candle. Why would you pay for a home inspection if you can smell funny odors upon a showing. You should do your due diligence before making an offer as much as possible.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,140,259 times
Asking the seller or his/her agent to not have the scented candles lit is totally fine.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:24 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,048,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I would ask them to nix the candle. Why would you pay for a home inspection if you can smell funny odors upon a showing. You should do your due diligence before making an offer as much as possible.
Ditto here - if I was a buyer and noticed scented candles, windows open even when cold/raining I as well would want to see the house again without anything covering up odors. You'll get a good idea of the 'type' of odors they're possibly covering up - dirty diapers one thing, mold or pet/child urine in carpeting/pad or wall something else entirely.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:43 PM

359 posts, read 1,119,794 times
You could always tell them you're sensitive to fragrances.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Some homeowners and agents are into their candles. It almost always raises an eyebrow that an attempt is being made to hide the odor of something.

Transient odor is easily eliminated with a cloth dampened with vinegar and whipped around the room.

By all means, ask there there be no candles.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:41 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,713,437 times
Indeed, why on earth would one want to light a scented candle at housing showing? On the other hand, if I haven't seen this thread, I would never give it a thought if I were in the same situation.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:14 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
At first, I thought you were asking if it would be acceptable to tell the seller they should get rid of the candles for showings to other people. I was coming in to say "its none of your business". But for a future showing for YOU, I would say absolutely that would be acceptable.

Be aware though, that if they want to cover up a smell, and you say no candles, they may do something devious, like bake cookies just before you come over.

You also mentioned that the window was open. Goodness, is it not winter where you live? Its COLD here. I can't imagine having a window open this time of year. You said it was cold and raining. An open window in that weather would make me far more suspicious than the candle.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:07 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,816,702 times
It smells like they're trying to cover up pet odors as well. I'm very sensitive to smells as I get migraines, and there are many times when my feedback to the listing agents is to nix the smells if they want the average person to stay in the house long enough to enjoy it and decide to write an offer. I've had tons of buyers turn around and walk out when the smells were too strong.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:35 PM

845 posts, read 2,328,023 times
Get a mold test kit at HD for 9 bucks. The candle won't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate