Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:37 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a home in a couple of months.I have been in contact with an agent for a few months.He has made me a "portal" to send me prospective homes. I have talked to him in E-mail and phone over the last few months.
My question is,how much should I expect him to do for me in my home search?I understand suggestions on price offer and furnishing "comps"should be expected.How about school and neighborhood info?Crime areas?Should I expect him to furnish me the name of the builder of the home I am interested in? Should I expect him to find out utility expenses on a particular home?
Could you realtors give me a list of what lengths you will go for a buyer?
I just don't want to "overdo" it........
appreciate any input.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 08:53 PM

61 posts, read 191,618 times
Jeff, So far your Realtor sounds like he has taken the steps to get you looking at properties. He cannot give you opinions on schools and crimes but can provide you with websites where you can look this information up. Once you've narrowed down your search he should be able to find the builder's name and give you some info about that builder. Either you or he can call the utility company to find out the high and low of the last year's bills. I'm sure he will do these things for you when you have started looking at homes and narrow your choice down to 2-3 properties. Just ask him. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:46 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I have a due diligence sheet that I do for all my buyers. I would expect your agent to be able to answer those questions for you. Understand that "good" schools and "low" crime are subjective terms. Most cities, unless small typically have crime maps that are easily accessed. Most states have some type of school rating system to allow you to compare school to school.

If you want to know something. Ask.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
He can do what you set the expectations for. I'd say right now he is doing what he should be doing by sending you homes. When you get face to face and closer to buying, give him a list on paper of things you would like him to provide. Don't expect it on every home you look at, but expect that on the homes you offer on. You should do your own school and crime research at least though.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:13 AM

17,418 posts, read 14,642,907 times
You've gotten good advice here ... but let me toss one more thing into the mix.

If you haven't yet, meet with a mortgage broker to see how you stand.

The most frustrating thing for buyer's (as well as agents - so much so, that unless you have met with a broker, I won't turn my schedule inside out for you) is to find your eye's are bigger than your pocketbook.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post

How about school and neighborhood info?Crime areas?
Generally speaking, it is in violation of Federal Fair Housing Laws for a licensed real estate agent to opine on good and bad schools or neighborhoods. Real estate agents can however, be the source of the source, and provide you with links to public information that you can use to make your own decisions about schools districts and neighborhoods that you will/will not consider.

I usually spend 1-3 hours upfront with buyers to determine their needs and wants and most importantly, whys. I want to visit buyers in their current homes or at least see pictures, if/when possible and understand what they like and dislike about it and get a sense of how much/what size stuff they have. I want them pre-approved/income verified before we start a serious search.

I do not rely on internet advertizing to make the best match. I know the local dirt and where the best values are within my market and sometimes those are the most poorly marketed properties, typically dimissed by online shoppers.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,139,449 times
It always puzzles me when buyers want to know what the previous resident's utility expenses were. What will those bills say about the home's energy efficiency, or the what kind of expenses to expect in the future? The previous occupants may have been a family of four with a stay-at-home parent. The previous resident may have had a preference for sleeping with the window open, for keeping all the lights on in the house during the day, or may have travelled a lot and hardly ever spent time at home.
A home inspector will be able to point out a home's energy efficient features or insulation deficits.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
It always puzzles me when buyers want to know what the previous resident's utility expenses were. What will those bills say about the home's energy efficiency, or the what kind of expenses to expect in the future? The previous occupants may have been a family of four with a stay-at-home parent. The previous resident may have had a preference for sleeping with the window open, for keeping all the lights on in the house during the day, or may have travelled a lot and hardly ever spent time at home.
A home inspector will be able to point out a home's energy efficient features or insulation deficits.

I agree and when I get asked that as a listing agent I always ask my sellers to qualify their use. It's useless information unless you know how someone lives.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post

This is one of the reasons I started this thread. You have a good point I did not consider.You can never stop learning or get good advice from another viewpoint

Old 02-03-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
You've gotten good advice here ... but let me toss one more thing into the mix.

If you haven't yet, meet with a mortgage broker to see how you stand.

The most frustrating thing for buyer's (as well as agents - so much so, that unless you have met with a broker, I won't turn my schedule inside out for you) is to find your eye's are bigger than your pocketbook.

Already did this. Proud of the fact my "scores" are 809,811.& 822. she said I am good up to 250K.......however have set my "limit" at 200K.Also doing the 20% down...... or more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate