Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 04:40 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Good suggestion, but I doubt the photo resolution would be high enough to see power lines. You *might* be able to make out the line towers if the images are high resolution.
Actually, you can see them pretty well if you are looking at an area with a lot of trees. You'll see a straight path cut through the trees, and when you zoom in, you will see that they are power lines. You can double-check with streetview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 07:13 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Actually, you can see them pretty well if you are looking at an area with a lot of trees. You'll see a straight path cut through the trees, and when you zoom in, you will see that they are power lines. You can double-check with streetview.
Yeah, it depends on the surroundings and if good photos are available for that location. Here, you can get high res within the city limits, but resolution drops off dramatically as you get to the rural areas. And streetview availability is also very hit and miss.

In any case, the best suggestion is to go to the property and look if you are not out of the area. As mentioned, it should be very obvious.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:55 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Go to the county planning office. They will have a county plat book which shows utilities easements. You can try to Google Earth. If its a treed area then you will see a tan area amongst the green. If its all open land then it'll be more difficult.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Triangle MLS gives us Bing (Microsoft) Mapping.
I like its "Bird's Eye View" even better than Google.
If you can get the Bing Map for your address, and it offers "Bird's Eye View," That will give you a pretty good look and a good idea.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:02 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
What voltage? 138,230,345,500,or 765 Kv?

Seriously if you can't see them from driving around, they're not there.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:17 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
I'm about to go under contract on a house in a suburb I'm not super familiar with. I have of course seen the house and neighborhood several times, and have driven around the suburb. I have not seen any high voltage power lines nearby but I could have missed them.

How can I find out exactly how far from the house are high voltage power lines?
You should be able to see high-tension lines in the vicinity on Google Earth.

*EDIT* I see this has been brought up already. You can definitely pick out the big easments and the lines will actually cast a shadow if the picture has adequate sunlight.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:26 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Good suggestion, but I doubt the photo resolution would be high enough to see power lines. You *might* be able to make out the line towers if the images are high resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
You should be able to see high-tension lines in the vicinity on Google Earth.

*EDIT* I see this has been brought up already. You can definitely pick out the big easments and the lines will actually cast a shadow if the picture has adequate sunlight.
We used a variety of maps, including the tax assessor maps. One of the houses we were seriously considering had high tension wires running right next to the property and we discounted it for that reason. Those wires/towers were visible on EVERY map we looked at but more detail was available on the tax assessor maps. And everything is available online.

maps.google.com
maps.yahoo.com
mapquest.com

and lastly but MOST importantly all the info from the tax assessor/collector's office

Old 02-13-2010, 07:31 PM

274 posts, read 708,537 times
You never know .. today's "no problem" may be tomorrow's high voltage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan View Post
I mean, seriously, they are really hard to miss, visually (if you are driving around):

Old 02-13-2010, 08:29 PM

718 posts, read 2,078,594 times
Oh my...maybe they are underground????

Old 02-14-2010, 08:08 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
You could always get an expert to audit your property for electromagnetic fields and provide that to any potential buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate