Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,910 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that my area has been getting a lot of new listings over the past month. Half of them are short sales, the other half are regular. The regular listings are priced HIGHER than the sold comps. I think asking prices were actually lower last year (so the difference between asking and sold price was narrower). How could this be, if sold prices are going lower every month?

Example:

Last year home A would have been listed at 599. It would eventually sell for 499 because that's what the sold comps are.

Based on the higher asking prices I am seeing, this year home A would be listed at 650. But the sold comps are now LOWER than last year, so the market value would be 450 instead of 499.

I am really bad at math but this doesn't make sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,578,860 times
Likely unrealistic sellers who don't listen to their agent's advice and the market data. Otherwise, are there any other factors in your area that might cause prices to rise? Less inventory (supply & demand), economic improvements, etc?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,910 times
no, as a matter of fact, unemployment here is 12.5%, the local economy is still in the toilet, and inventory of homes for sale has skyrocketed since the new year. some of the things I am seeing:
1. people who are 100k or so underwater, who had tried to sell their homes last year, are now putting the home on the market again for the same price or a HIGHER price! meanwhile, prices have only dropped since last year!

2. people thinking they can still flip. something came on the market yesterday that was purchased (overpaid for) in 2008 for 540000. they listed it for 590000!

3. higher prices and more people doing price reductions instead of pricing the house correctly from the get-go

Old 02-11-2010, 01:03 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
I listed and sold a log home in Gorham Maine in December 2008 for 193,500. Last week the new owners listed it with their buyer agent for 215,000 in the same condition as they purchased it. In 2009 the median sales price in that county declined about 6%. Need I say more?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:44 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Likely unrealistic sellers who don't listen to their agent's advice and the market data.
Yup to that - looks like op skipped right over your likely comment and headed to the secondaries which leads me to believe op's market may have some lowering - just taking notice to that which makes least sense and commenting on it while dismissing the things that do make sense.
Sellers never want to take a hit - some accept it - some don't/can't so pricing is sometimes a shot in the dark for them but they have to try something.
As far as the op's specific examples - all I can say is, why care unless a property is one you want to buy, if it is make an offer - otherwise no one here, or you will ever know unless they know the seller personally.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:46 PM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
The reason that happens is because people are delusional. They "want" a certain amount out of the house so they put it on the market to "break even" even when the market won't allow them to break even.

People are pricing listings higher right now because of the tax credit. I think there is this perception that since first timers are getting money back that they will pay more for a house.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Well the press and government aren't helping much. Green shoots, great numbers and nuthing but roses and lollipops in the future. Job growth will take off any month now and the recovery will escalate.

Why wouldn't some sellers price accordingly if that's all they hear on TV and read in the MSM ?

Old 02-11-2010, 05:30 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,938,945 times
Sellers are unrealistic and think that those of us in the market to buy are desperate for an $8k tax credit and will spend another $50k to get it.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:50 PM

930 posts, read 1,817,912 times
they can list their houses as high as they want, but they probably will be forced to sell closer to actual appraisal anyway , unless they get an all cash offer and their's no bank loan that may be tied to the houses' actual value.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:34 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,019,847 times
From a different perspective....This is a rare opportunity to sell now at a higher price. This will be the best spring market that we've had in the last three years.....People will pay more for your home if it is NOT a short sale, and their time frame is closing in ..... if they want to take advantage of the tax credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate