Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 07:05 AM

13 posts, read 85,426 times

Advertisements

I found a seller who wants to sell a small piece of property. However he has a federal tax lien that won't be covered by the sell price. The seller is currently on a repayment plan with the IRS and has assured me that the IRS would allow for the sale and just take all profits after taxes and Realtor fees. When I was a lender I thought that you couldn't sell or refinance any property with a tax lien unless the sale/refinance completely paid off the lien. Any of you dealt with this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 09:31 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
Close only with proof that the lien is removed or covered under the title insurance.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:56 AM

800 posts, read 3,088,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longacre View Post
I found a seller who wants to sell a small piece of property. However he has a federal tax lien that won't be covered by the sell price. The seller is currently on a repayment plan with the IRS and has assured me that the IRS would allow for the sale and just take all profits after taxes and Realtor fees. When I was a lender I thought that you couldn't sell or refinance any property with a tax lien unless the sale/refinance completely paid off the lien. Any of you dealt with this before?

Tax liens take position over mortgages. They must be paid off when the title transfers. I do not know of any lenders that will refi with an IRS lien. Your client should plan on paying it off or negotiating a reduced payment. Good luck!

Old 06-02-2007, 11:32 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,711 times
I think this is missunderstood here. The tax lean will take what money is paid on the property with the other leanholders getting the ballance or the boot. If there is not enough to pay off the tax man, he will take what he's got and release the house from the lean for the sale. The lean on the person is still in effect and will follow him until it's paid.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:45 AM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Sorry folks..an IRS tax lien is just another lien. Takes position based on time and does not over-ride earleir debt. The confusion is caused by local and state tax liens which may take a position superior to other debt.

The IRS will release a lien under certain circumstances. But they are sloppy about it. You will not be able to finance a place until the tax lien (and all other liens) are released.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:34 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,911,277 times
I had to go through this with a seller of a home I had listed who didn't know there was a tax lien on his house until we got an offer on it and then it showed up on title. There was not enough $$ to pay off the IRS and the mortgage, so I went through a formal application process with the IRS to ask them to remove the lien from the property. THey needed 2 appraisals to verify the purchase price was legitimate along with a letter from the seller explaining why he was selling and why he didn't have the $$ to pay the balance of the lien. It took about 3 weeks to get through the process but the IRS did approve the release of the lien. I'm pretty sure it still follows the seller's credit bureau, but at least it's not on the house any more. Go to the IRS website for the complete approval process - they have specific rules you have to follow to get it done. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:05 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,896,556 times
Wow. Thank you! I've learned something tonight. I love these boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate