Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:35 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacie30 View Post
We recently found our dream home, and had an inspection. The report had 38 items that needed to be addressed, most of them minor, but a couple of them major in my eyes (fans that vented to nowhere, mold under a shower in the crawl space, missing floor joist, etc.). I was very disconcerted and disenchanted with the house after i read the inspection report and saw the pictures. And then I thought about it some more...

I now knew exactly, to the T, what was wrong AND what was sound with the house I was buying. So, now I was an informed buyer, and was able to negotiate with the seller to get the things I wanted fixed, and I was able to make a list of minor stuff I'd need to fix eventually, so I could budget for the repairs.

In this market, sellers are VERY willing to negotiate repairs with buyers. Because, if you have an issue with foundation cracks, rodent infestations, and shoddy wiring, the next potential buyer is going to have those same problems.

So, my advice is: No house is perfect, even new construction. Consider yourself an informed consumer, and be glad you know everything that is wrong with the home. Decide which items on the inspection list are deal breakers for you, and negotiate their repairs with the seller. If the seller won't repair (which I think is unlikely - who wouldn't remove rats and upgrade potentially dangerous wiring?) and you aren't comfortable taking on the repairs yourself once you're the owner, move on.
EXCELLENT outlook and advice!! When I inspect I can find many things with a home that should not be. Most tend to be minor but our inspection laws requires us to report it all, and I would report it all even if the laws did not require it. It is important that the client have the complete picture of the home so they can make an informed decision. I try to get the client to understand what is significant, what is minor, and that everything just about can be repaired. It all boils down to how much time, money and effort they want to expend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 07:40 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
Perhaps NeilVA might like to respond to Barking Spider's post??

Old 02-20-2010, 10:59 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Here's a sample contract. Read #1 carefully. The 4th word is Visual

Virginia Inspection Service (http://www.vainspectionservice.com/SampleContract.html - broken link)

There is no where I stated that they don't take off the cover to the electrical panel.

Quote:
The home inspector shall observe: Service entrance conductors; Service equipment, grounding equipment, main over current device, and main and distribution panels; Amperage and voltage ratings of the service; Branch circuit conductors, their over current devices, and the compatibility of their ampacities and voltages; The operation of a representative number of installed ceiling fans, lighting fixtures, switches and receptacles located inside the house, garage, and on the dwelling's exterior walls; The polarity and grounding of all receptacles within six feet of interior plumbing fixtures, and all receptacles in the garage or carport, and on the exterior of inspected structures; The operation of ground fault circuit interrupters; and Smoke detectors. The home inspector shall describe: Service amperage and voltage; Service entry conductor materials; Service type as being overhead or underground; and Location of main and distribution panels. The home inspector shall report any observed aluminum branch circuit wiring. The home inspector shall report on presence or absence of smoke detectors, and operate their test function, if accessible, except when detectors are part of a central system. The home inspector is not required to: Insert any tool, probe, or testing device inside the panels; Test or operate any over current device except ground fault circuit interrupters; Dismantle any electrical device or control other than to remove the covers of the main and auxiliary distribution panels; or Observe: Low voltage systems; Security system devices, heat detectors, or carbon monoxide detectors; Telephone, security, cable TV, intercoms, or other ancillary wiring that is not a part of the primary electrical distribution system; or Built-in vacuum equipment.
Quote:
While the inspector makes every effort to find all areas of concern, some areas can go unnoticed. Outlets were not removed and the inspection was only visual. Any outlet not accessible (behind the refrigerator for example) was not inspected or accessible. Please be aware that the inspector has your best interest in mind. Any repair items mentioned in a report should be considered before purchase. It is recommended that qualified contractors be used in your further inspection or repair issues as it relates to the comments in an inspection report.
As stated above the home inspector does not dismantle any electrical device or control other than to remove the covers of the main and auxiliary distribution panels.

So Chuck are you my grammar police too? Would the words "splice box" explain it better for you? Are you a contractor on top of being a realtor?

My experience is in flips (just one of my side hobbies). And I have a contractor and subs. So I've seen the items some of Home Inspectors didn't catch because they don't have the correct equipment to do the extra step or can't do by their own contracts.

And as to scopes (has built in lights), I guess my friends have better toys then yours. They really don't enjoy to break a wall down to see a something hidden in the walls (like leaks). Or to go into a crawl space that is too narrow, or an attic that has little room to walk in, to inspect for an issue.

And lawmom, If you don't have something constructive to say as part of the thread stay out of it. There is no place here for you to instigate things. Or better yet go to a AOL chat room. The OP will read and choose the parts from each one of us that they find pertinent to their issue.

And the following is listed numerous times in a well written home inspection report:

Quote:
It is recommended that qualified contractors be used in your further inspection or repair issues as it relates to the comments in this inspection report.

Last edited by Pruzhany; 02-20-2010 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-20-2010, 11:04 PM

301 posts, read 1,435,278 times
How is any of this actually helping the OP...? Sheesh!

Old 02-20-2010, 11:16 PM

17,356 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
So Chuck are you my grammer police too? Are you a contractor on top of being a realtor?
Maybe the grammar police perhaps ...

And no, not a contractor but I happen to be married to an electrician. As well as being brought up in a family of tradesmen.

The reason I zero'd in on your incorrect verbiage in that specific post was because you were skimming the surface on a lot of things, using incorrect terminology in others ... jumping to a lot of conclusions that quite frankly, didn't make much sense.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:46 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,666,857 times
Thanks for the advice, NeilVA. LOL!

Old 02-21-2010, 01:21 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
My oldest daughter just rescinded an offer on a REO when the inspection came back with a failed septic system and failing well.
There were also a few minor issues found but non were deal breakers and were to be expected on a house of the age it is.
Those reports came back 10 days before closing.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:13 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,289,485 times
Neil,
Maybe you should Google basic electrical wiring, then do a search on 1. circuits, 2. correct splices, 3. box fill capacities, and then keep going.

There is nothing wrong with having wire splices connected inside a junction box. The wires can go to different rooms, etc. There is however, some regulations on the amount of wires that can be inside a certain size box, wire clamping, the boxes need to be covered and accessible.

While I have only been a home inspector for 20+ years, and a general contractor before that, I have to say I have never heard the term "junctioned" before.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:07 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Barking,

Maybe you should. Who cares that I used an electronics term in an electrical application. But I rather prefer each one of my rooms to be on a seperate breaker. I prefer each one of my major appliances to be on a seperate breaker. I prefer that each wall in my kitchen be on a separate breaker. I think its shoddy when an outlet on my front porch blows the breaker and my living room shuts off. The OP needs to know what you as inspectors are not going to tell them. People need to know that you get alot of work from Realtors and some of you are not going to tell the customers the truth of how bad the situations may be. If you water it down, Realtors will recommend you. After all a better report leads to a sale for them and thus more work for you down the road. So please stop the the BS that you 100% represent the buyer.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:40 PM

17,356 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Barking,

Maybe you should. Who cares that I used an electronics term in an electrical application. But I rather prefer each one of my rooms to be on a seperate breaker. I prefer each one of my major appliances to be on a seperate breaker. I prefer that each wall in my kitchen be on a separate breaker. I think its shoddy when an outlet on my front porch blows the breaker and my living room shuts off. The OP needs to know what you as inspectors are not going to tell them. People need to know that you get alot of work from Realtors and some of you are not going to tell the customers the truth of how bad the situations may be. If you water it down, Realtors will recommend you. After all a better report leads to a sale for them and thus more work for you down the road. So please stop the the BS that you 100% represent the buyer.
My absolute favorite home inspector killed one of my deals several months back.

And you know what? I still refer him constantly and will continue to until they pry my Supra Key out of my cold dead hands.

He did (and does) a fantastic job for my clients and keeps their interests at the forefront.

You are 100% completely and utterly wrong again.

And PS ... unless you have a 1000 amp service, your wants/needs are completely impractical and unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate