U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 07:22 AM

8,232 posts, read 12,948,354 times

Advertisements

I'm not particularly interested in having a pool but there is a home on the MLS that I might investigate but it has a small inground pool.
In the pictures it looks like it has a really tall wooden privacy fence around the pool which for my desires ruins the whole back yard experience (this is a semi rural property, neighbors on either side but no backyard neighbors which is what I'm looking for).
I don't have kids nor will family or friends with kids be coming and going with kids so I'm not worried about that.
Neighbor kids of course should be fenced out for their safety. Are there laws saying I can't fence in, with a lock on any gates, the whole back of the property and have that count as the safety fence? Or do they have to surround the actual pool proper? And how do I find out specific re height etc?
I did try to google this but couldn't find anything specific. This is Ohio.

I realize I can fill in the pool but as long as its there I wanted to know whether its option to keep it since I would be fencing in the property anyway. (I'm overweight and can see myself swimming for exercise)

One wrinkle is that while I would put up a 5 or 6' high wooden privacy fence around the back yard up near the house, I would like to transition that to a regular 4' metal fence towards the back to keep it looking open and I'm not sure that would be acceptable. But I'm not trying to move outside of town to end up living in a fenced box.
Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 07:43 AM

10,121 posts, read 10,297,054 times
Pool fencing laws are very localized. You're really going to need to check with local authorities about this.

Depending on your laws, you may be able to purchase a certain type of pool cover (which I cannot for the life of me think of what it's called) that is strong & secure enough that it will take the place of a fence for security purposes.

They are quite expensive though.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 AM

8,232 posts, read 12,948,354 times
Thank you for that information. I did some more googling and while that specific township search didn't come up with anything some surrounding townships have some verbage which to me sounds as if a 5' fence with a lock around the property would suffice.
I will of course check further if I decide I'm interested in the property based on other things.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 AM

38,160 posts, read 42,664,952 times
There have been many instances of kids sneaking into backyards and drowning in pools. No matter what the local law might be think about the liability and getting sued if some kid did this in your pool.

You want fences tall enough surrounding the pool so that kids have trouble climbing and most importantly locks on the gates. Many people have the fence but not the locks.

Many pools will also have a secondary interior (usually metal) fence that divides the yard and keeps kids separate in the yard used for play. They even make temporary type fences that surround the pool to keep infants out.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:02 AM

4,511 posts, read 12,762,616 times
Agree with above, laws for pools are very local. Even in the Phoenix area where pools are very common, they vary from city to city. Some only require that the entire yard be enclosed with self closing gates, some require fencing off the pool itself, some must have self closing/locking exit doors in the home with pool access , etc. Rakin is correct, sadly, kid drownings in Phoenix too are a regular occurrence.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:36 PM

11,563 posts, read 31,729,079 times
I believe they are called an "attractive nuisance" - not only would local zoning laws - but also hazard insurance would be in play.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:34 PM

410 posts, read 1,213,577 times
It also depends on when the pool was built or installed. Some older homes are grandfathered in. (I know from experience in AZ)

Old 02-21-2010, 11:33 PM

9 posts, read 30,092 times
Your best bet would be to call the town that the home is located in. They will be able to give you the information you seek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate