U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 02:27 PM

61 posts, read 221,968 times

Advertisements

As a buyer, we are asked by the short sale agent to give him our date of birth and the last five SS# . The listing agent told my agent that the bank needs them to verify our identities. This seems odd. Should we provide these info? Why do they need it in the first place? My loan officer has already verified the identify.
Thank you very much for your time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 02:33 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,469,288 times
I will be interested to see what others say on this, but as someone who hopes to buy a short-sale myself later this year, I would be very uncomfortable providing this information, esp the last 4 of SS.
I hope we don't find ourselves in the same situation.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:51 PM

This is the first time I have heard to ask the last five (5) digits (not just the last four (4). We feel the same way.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:21 PM

152 posts, read 441,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer-379 View Post
As a buyer, we are asked by the short sale agent to give him our date of birth and the last five SS# . The listing agent told my agent that the bank needs them to verify our identities. This seems odd. Should we provide these info? Why do they need it in the first place? My loan officer has already verified the identify.
Thank you very much for your time.

Did they ask for this info right when your offer was accepted by the sellers? We had our short sale offer accepted by the sellers and now it's with the bank and we didn't have to give any DOB or SSN info (yet). Wondering if the bank will ask for it once they get around to reviewing the offer?

Old 02-20-2010, 03:24 PM

14,717 posts, read 35,613,890 times
Some lenders are requesting that information. I wouldn't call it common place, but it's not rare either.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:24 PM

11,485 posts, read 31,078,908 times
They are trying to determine whether you could be related to the seller.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:21 PM

Thanks. It is good to know what they need the info for. Not sure how it works. Actually it is the first five digits of SS# and DOB. Thanks again for your responses.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:27 AM

146 posts, read 658,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer-379 View Post
Actually it is the first five digits of SS# and DOB. Thanks again for your responses.
That they're asking for the first five digits seems really sketchy, given that they might already have the last four from some other form you filled out or will need to at some point. Taken together, of course, that's a pretty sneaky way to get your whole SSN, but that's basically what they're doing. I'd be less worried if they had outright asked for the whole number. Be sure to do some digging first.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:58 PM

8,047 posts, read 25,747,972 times
The seller has a BofA loan, don't they?

You said the house is selling short, which means that the new BofA website "equator.com" is being used. We just filled one of these out. Part of the setting up process for a new contract involves inputting the buyers' home address, phone numbers, first 5 digits of the SS#, date of birth, etc.

It is totally legit and part of the new process for BofA short sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate