Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:45 PM

17 posts, read 70,963 times

Advertisements

We put our home up on the market last Saturday and we assumed the first week would be the bussiest. Well we were wrong! We haven't had a single showing in our first 6 days! Are we overreacting to the lack of showings?? How often should we be getting them? We were told that for our area the average days on the market was 62. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 05:55 PM

107 posts, read 690,000 times
our house been listed twice (once with a different realtor for 30 days until she quit) and we had no showings with her. now we've been relisted for 13 days with a new realtor and have had 2 showings.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:31 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
Talk to your agent. IF your home is priced right and IF your marketing is in place, give it another week.... IF you pushed the price to see what would happen then you may need to call and change the price as soon as possible.

Lots of questions... could be a lot of different answers.

Shelly

Old 06-01-2007, 02:53 PM

107 posts, read 121,150 times
are you doing it on your own, or are you using a real estate company?

My suggestions:

Market market market market... use the web, mailing, fliers, make your home as accessible to everyone who is looking presently.

most buyers use agents (they dont pay commission with only the very rarest of exceptions) so make sure those buyers can see your house as an option..

Lester Morris

Old 06-02-2007, 07:55 AM

17 posts, read 70,963 times
Default still no showings

Still no showings...

We do have an agent and it has been given an listing number and I can find it searching online. We have flyers out in front of our house. We listed it on Craigs list. Any other marketing suggestions?? There are also 3 other homes in our subdivision for sale. Ours is the 2nd cheapest price up. I just don't know if its normal to not have any showings. Can your house be priced okay and not have showings?? Seems strange.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:05 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,785 times
Yes, a house can be priced "right" and have no showings. If there aren't buyers for the area... or the reason to choose another area, etc. Your pricing information says you are competitive with other listed prices, but are you priced competitively against what has sold? You mentioned that DOM is about 65 days... is that your neighborhood? What price range are you and what is the DOM for that price range? If the DOM is a mix of all price ranges, you might not be getting an accurate picture. for instance, in our market homes under the 300k mark are faring much better than those over 500k. the homes in between 300k to 500k are just ok, or flat.

In our market, homes that are the "move up" homes need to make concessions AND show pristine to attract the buyer. And I am in a transient market place.

Other considerations: I do CMA's based on the neighborhood comps, but also look to other comparable or desirable neighoborhoods to weigh in on competition. Ask your REA to pull competition comps for you as well to add to your discussion with them.

Think like a buyer: If there are 3 homes in your neighoborhood, and 3 in the next and 3 the next.. now compare the amenities, the schools, the homes and which would you choose?

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Shelly

Old 06-02-2007, 05:16 PM

46 posts, read 114,311 times
Don't feel bad my home has been on the market 3 months with NO SHOWINGS. It is only 1 year and a half old. We want out with this realtor and she always has an excuse. She says its competitively priced but "maybe" we should drop it. We have only seen it advertised on MLS and some free trader magazine thing that gets delivered to local houses. We have to relocate out of state also so we need it gone. MY DH had a long talk with her today on the phone and has contact the owner of the agency they want to sit down and chat with us. We really do not have time for chats.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:31 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,766,703 times
I just listed with a new agent after the last agent had the listing for 6 months, and in 6 months, NO SHOWINGS. I was quite dissappointed. They didn't even bring the other realtors in the office to see the house. My house is only 3 yrs old and in excellent condition and priced right.
The new realtor has had the listing for about 2 1/2 weeks, they called this morning at 10 and wanted to come right over, my two teen girls were still in bed and both their rooms looked like an explosion in a clothing factory. The rest of the house was fine but...I asked them to give me an hour but they were walking out the door, so better luck next time. For now on I'm setting my alarm every Sat AM and sprucing up EVERY Sat., just in case. Of course I gave the girls a lecture about keeping the clothes off the floor.
The last house I sold took a full yr and they showed it 50 weekends out of the 52 it was for sale, and usually more than once. When it did sell, I had 2 people who wanted it the same time, so one bought the house next door which made them happy too.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:20 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
i hate to say this,,but it is all about price, and price validation, competition, area etc,,
however,,,most roads lead back to price,,
ask your realtors,,,what other houses are on the market thats similar,,,,look at dom days on market,,,also look at what sold in the last three months,,
also....as the seller,,MAKE SURE YOUR LISTING BROKER HAS AN EVEN COMMISSION SPLIT,,,,for example,,say i listed your house for 6% ,, i put 4% on the listing side and only 2% on the buying side (comission split)
well,,,many buyer brokers,,,,wont even go to your house with thier clients,,,if there are other houses on the market similar,,with a higher buyer side commission,,,yes its not right,,,,but i believe it happens,,
at the very least,,it gives you a competitive disadvantage..
so, as an owner,,ask your listing broker how the splits work,,,,

Old 06-02-2007, 08:32 PM

107 posts, read 121,150 times
sounds like the market absorption rate is not good. i dont know what it is like where you are, but this proves that the MLS is not enough to sell a home. You need a warm body out there working on your behalf, which is the whole point of an agency relationship.

it's about people, and having the right person, who hustles and cares.

some newpaper flier and an MLS number alone don't cut it, guys! get up and get to marketing!!!

Lester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate