Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 02:04 PM

16 posts, read 38,457 times

Advertisements

This will hurt a lot of you “know it alls” BUT, there is not 1 state in the USA that licenses a "real estate agent" If you advertise/promote or even use the name "real estate agent", you are perpetuating fraud of which is a misdemeanor.

There is NOT 1 state that neither licenses a “real estate agent” nor legally accepts the definition of the word “real estate agent”

Guess what? Most people have a better shot at seeing the abdominal snowman sunbathing on a Florida beach than they do of seeing an actual real estate agent.
Please prove me wrong on this, but before you shoot a bs hateful email/post, view your own pocket card.

There is NO SUCH THING AS A REAL ESTATE AGENT that is recognized by any state! (even florida.......)

Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,574,098 times
Gee, I'm hurt. And who cares? Technically, AZ refers to us as "licensees". REALTOR(r) works for me.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:20 PM

Rich,
As your aware of, you can lose your license for perpetuating a fraud, advertising as a "realtor" is also NOT recognized by the state of Az in thier licensing or definitions....

Yes,

You can Lose your license!

Old 02-24-2010, 02:21 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,574,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsalebyownerguy View Post
Rich,
As your aware of, you can lose your license for perpetuating a fraud, advertising as a "realtor" is also NOT recognized by the state of Az in thier licensing or definitions....

Yes,

You can Lose your license!
I'll take my chances.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:42 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
In TX we are licensed as a RE salesperson or broker. My company who I have an agreement with calls me an agent so in their and my eyes I R 1.

It's kind of like my Insurance agent. That's what I call him and that's what he calls himself so I can live with that term.

As I recall I don't believe anyone has been sued for misrepresentation for using any of these terms since they are pretty well established and recognized by the public.

Not sure what your beef is but call us whatever makes you happy.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:52 PM

There is no beef. It is knowledge. Why are people defensive on learning?
Why do believe it is all right (per your own law) to promote yourself to the public under the wrong category or classification of what you are licensed as?
Just because I have a driver's license, does not qualify me to advertise or promote I am a nascar driver.
You are bound by your own state's license law, follow the law.
It's very simple.
"As I recall I don't believe anyone has been sued for misrepresentation for using any of these terms since they are pretty well established and recognized by the public."
The above is a crazy statement.
Their are 1000's of cases on record in every state because of the lack of knowledge and training. Learn your industry laws. It will only benefit you.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:58 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,300,551 times
I guess I'm safe, I'm a real estate broker who acts as an agent for people who buy and sell homes and land. Whew!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:05 PM

39 posts, read 93,187 times
I am not a real estate agent. I am looking to buy, I did not have this information. Thanks for letting me know the facts. Every single real estate agent in my area either goes by "Realtor" or "Real Estate Agent." So, until you report them all and the courts decide in your favor I am forced to continue using these so-called real-estate agents. But just between you and me I will call them all "Realtor" behind their backs.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:36 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Definition of Agency from the Nevada Statutes.

1. “Agency” means a relationship between a principal and an agent arising out of a brokerage agreement whereby the agent is engaged to do certain acts on behalf of the principal in dealings with a third party.

Sounds like we "agents" does it not?

On business cards and such I define my self as a Broker/Salesman. I refer to myself in the third person as a RE Agent. That appears correct from the above.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:46 PM

39 posts, read 93,187 times
I honestly think he is just trying to make a stink. No one cares. As the consumer, I choose to call them an agent. I don't even think that they are trying to deceive us into using them because they are agents. It's a widely accepted title that doesn't hurt anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.