Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 08:30 AM

68 posts, read 553,728 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are looking at a potential home that just went on the market. After some deep searching the house has this clause:

There is a sewer betterment in the amount of $5,330.00 (around 16 years left) $410 per year split between 2 quarters to be assumed by buyer.

Can someone explain this? Does this mean we're merely required to pay $410 extra a year? I googled the term and it looks like a sewer betterment a tax that can be assessed by municipalities to properties that have been "bettered" by the construction of a public sewer. So we'd be 'paying back' the town for the next 15 years or whatever... Assuming this is something the town approved a while back.

Is this correct or are we way off?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Not sure about the terminology, here it's called a "benefit charge". From where I'm sitting your analysis is correct. The payment goes to pay off the capital cost of the sewer plant and system construction, upgrading, replacement of capital equipment (pumps, grinders, etc.).
The system/plant wher I live is about 35 years old and is currently undergoing a major rebuild and upgrade of treatment processes. About $25M total.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:54 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
We don't have that term here. We just call them assessments and it is exactly as you state that the owner of the property pays a share of the improvements over time.

Call the city or county and they'll tell you for sure.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:05 AM

68 posts, read 553,728 times
Truly appreciate the responses!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:30 PM

422 posts, read 1,474,902 times
ya u are right in your interpretation. i think the "sewer betterment" term is more commonly used in MA. i have seen several houses in MA with outstanding sewer betterments too. you don't have to stick with the $410/year repayment. i was told by realtors that you can actually pay it off in a lump sum to avoid incurring interests on the instalments.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:21 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatturkey View Post
ya u are right in your interpretation. i think the "sewer betterment" term is more commonly used in MA. i have seen several houses in MA with outstanding sewer betterments too. you don't have to stick with the $410/year repayment. i was told by realtors that you can actually pay it off in a lump sum to avoid incurring interests on the instalments.

We do it that way here to. You can pay a lump amount or payments. I would just negotiate the payoff as part of a contract, personally.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:37 PM

422 posts, read 1,474,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
We do it that way here to. You can pay a lump amount or payments. I would just negotiate the payoff as part of a contract, personally.
ya agree with silverfall that you shld negotiate for the seller to settle the $5330 as part of your contract...it's afterall not that much.

however, i have come across sewer betterment in the tens of thousands of dollars!

Old 03-01-2010, 05:43 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I don't know whether I'd bother with negotiating. If I understand correctly the charge is levied twice a year (as part of the water/sewer bill?). The interest portion of the payment is deductible. If the jurisdiction labels it as a special assessment the whole payment is deductible, which is how we do it as a line item on the annual property tax bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate