Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 07:15 AM

22 posts, read 76,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
You are not realistic and unmotivated. Do her a favor and tell her that it's not her it's you.
I appreciate the input, in my opinion that is just a poor attitude. I have certain expectations that aren't being met. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion....thats why I posed on the forum. So its probably best for me to make a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 07:45 AM

The reason I am so adamant over the counterspace is that I have dealt with limited counterspace in an apartment before. To give you an idea of size its basically a sink with 1-inch of space around. I probably couldn't even fit a toothbrush holder on it. I just think back to how my blow dryer, brush, makeup etc was falling in the sink, on the floor, in the toilet, in the trash. I have to deal with that EVERY day I live in my future home. It might sound stupid to some people, but its important to me. I'd take a mediocre kitchen to have "decent" counterspace. All I want is room to set my blow dryer, hairbrush and other necessities down.

Maybe its just time to make a change. What do you think about newer real estate agents? I think they might be more willing to go the extra mile in order to build up a good reputation, but then a newer agent might lack the negotiating experience. And how would you proceed? I don't want to waste someone else's time or mine. Would you recommend just going in saying.... I have this certain criteria and its probably going to take some more work on your end to make this efficient....are you up for it? If its no I am totally fine with that. I would much rather have both of us be upfront about it to avoid regrets later. In reading the posts one agent stated "Its not her, its you" and then another post by Silverfall saying he/she would make a call and find out about the counterspace ahead of time. It all depends on what an agent is willing and able to do to make a customer happy and I totally respect that. I might not be the customer for everyone.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:50 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Adding a new countertop could cost you less than $300 including the plumber.

Try one with a "banjo" top that covers the top of the toilet.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Pedestal sinks have no room, but I have never seen a vanity that small that you couldn't put things on it.

OP if you have never owned a place before, head down to Lowe's or Home Depot and take measurements of the size vanity that would meet your needs. Then when you go and see a place bring your measurements with you. What I find is that people often think things won't fit when they really will.

Shoot, I had a guy insist that a twin bed wouldn't fit in a 10x10 room so I brought my blue painter's tape and laid out the twin bed on the floor as well as a kids dresser, etc. Seeing the tape on the floor made him realize how off he was.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:55 AM

I actually thought about the banjo top which might be an option but I'd have to look again. I wish I had a photo to show the exact situation. Maybe I will take one at the next house that has a similar layout.

I did find a similar layout in a photo online. The main difference is that the photo on this link has a much larger vanity but the layout is the same. The vanity in the homes I have seen has a sink with one cabinet underneath...and as I said before there is only about an inch of countertop around the sink so there is less overall length in the room as compared to the photo. General layout is the same where you have the shower on one end, toilet in the middle, then the sink on the other end. Any other ideas on what I could do?

Google Image Result for http://www.hsa-remodel.com/images/portfolio/bathrooms/bathroom03-pic01.jpg

Old 03-04-2010, 10:57 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Have you thought about hanging something on the wall to hold your items?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:17 AM

15,578 posts, read 40,440,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB2003 View Post
I actually thought about the banjo top which might be an option but I'd have to look again. I wish I had a photo to show the exact situation. Maybe I will take one at the next house that has a similar layout.

I did find a similar layout in a photo online. The main difference is that the photo on this link has a much larger vanity but the layout is the same. The vanity in the homes I have seen has a sink with one cabinet underneath...and as I said before there is only about an inch of countertop around the sink so there is less overall length in the room as compared to the photo. General layout is the same where you have the shower on one end, toilet in the middle, then the sink on the other end. Any other ideas on what I could do?

Google Image Result for http://www.hsa-remodel.com/images/portfolio/bathrooms/bathroom03-pic01.jpg
Okay so you are backing out of houses for the joe average bathroom from what I see. I can see why your agent isn't as fun to be around because you are rejecting normal bathrooms.

You can buy organizers that you can hang on the wall. You can have an inwall medicine cabinet put it for your make-up. Bathroom Storage, Bathroom Space Saver, Bathroom Organizer | Space Savers

I mean Ikea, Pottery Barn, Crate and Barrel...all carry organizers.

Head to Lowe's and take some measurements and look at replacing the vanity with something that works for you. Some of them have small but deeper sinks to give you more counter space. Some have drawers.

Organizers will solve your problem, and they even have some nice ones at Target.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:28 PM

I can honestly say the bathroom in the photo is much more spacious than what I am finding, but the best comparison on general layout. I would be ecstatic to find one that size. But you honestly think something smaller than this is average? I grew up in an 1100 sq foot home and I think the bathroom was at least 1.5X the size of the one in the photo. I am looking in a price range around 180-190k and ~1800-2000 sq ft in the metro Detroit area. Next time I see a similar bathroom I'll snap a photo on my phone.

I will definitely check into organizers, but I just don't see it fitting in an already cramped bathroom. But I will see if I can find anything that would work. I just really feel for that kind of money I should be getting a decent master bath.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:58 PM

Well, I just looked into different vanities with smaller sinks and I think that might work!! And it doesn't seem too expensive. I could probably do it for about $1000 and have my friend's husband who is a mechanical contractor install it. :-) Yeah! I guess I got some good advice afterall.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:59 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
On older houses you may not find what you are looking for. They just didn't build homes with the features people feel are important today such as larger closets and open kitchens.

You might need to only look for homes that have been remodeled or adjust your expectations. The house you seek may not exist in your price range and the area you desire. After looking at 50 homes, I would suspect this would be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate