Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:13 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times

Advertisements

Guess I really should have said "mildew" for those eaves, but you know, same same.

Chet, you're not in Chicago are you!

Here, we leave closets open and have lots of louvered doors for cabinets and closets for circulation. Some really damp areas use a little electrical wand, a "damp chaser stick" in closets. Leather shoes, jackets etc. or bike leathers mildew really bad if not used often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 09:28 AM

107 posts, read 335,094 times
it was inside where u cant see but there were some black dots that appeared. inspector saw it but didnt put it on the first report that went to the seller. i mentioned to him and he said it was minor so he didnt put it. it seems like seller,bank knew about it. some of the drywall had new paints.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:12 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkey View Post
it was inside where u cant see but there were some black dots that appeared. inspector saw it but didnt put it on the first report that went to the seller. i mentioned to him and he said it was minor so he didnt put it. it seems like seller,bank knew about it. some of the drywall had new paints.

So it sounds like you knew that there was potentially a problem and moved ahead anyway.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:46 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
So it sounds like you knew that there was potentially a problem and moved ahead anyway.
That's the way I see the situation too.

To the OP ... it's a REO, as-is. Chances are you bought it at a lower price too, with the aspect that you're also taking the responsibility of any deficiencies. Such deficiencies will include any aspects that may be a safety and health related, such as mold. Concealed damage or not, you signed the paperwork, so it's your responsibility now.

Fix it out of your own pocket and move on. Attempting to fight it is utterly pointless, not to mention even more costly than the fix, because last I checked, the hourly rate for a contractor is way cheaper than a lawyer.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
If its just surface mold from the walls being dirty and misiture ;you can mix a solution of one qaurt bleech to three parts warm water ;wipe the walls and let dry. If its coming form the inside the walls then you have more serious problems. Its likely that it just surface from being left with no heat;air condiitoning. Surface mold only needs dirt and mositure to grow, Do not use straight bleech as that will only cause the mold to put out spores, Its the water that makes it absorb the bleech.Good luck

Old 03-05-2010, 09:20 PM

Yes I knew there was mold but it was on only one spot on the wall facing the front.
I hired a person to fix this mold and he tore the drywall and told me the bad news. It was all the inside walls facing towards the front which can't be seen from the inside of the house.
Fixing price went from $500 to $4600.
If I need to fix the outside part of the house so no more water can get inside the house, that would be another $8500.

I know it is my fault for not pursuing further but my inspector told me it was minor mold in one spot. He even ignored on his first report until I mentioned it. Seller did not lower the price even the less.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,990 times
Bleach will kill mold but only if it can reach all the mold. Drywall can be like a sponge - the mold can go "inside" and then it's really hard to kill. I've not heard of Shockwave - but sounds like it is worth a try.
Sometimes it's easier to simply replace the drywall. Even replacing a few studs is not always that big a deal. However, I have found wood is easier to treat for mold than drywall.
Whatever you do, be sure there are no active leaks inside the wall or running down the inside of the wall.
Best wishes.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:37 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorkey View Post
Yes I knew there was mold but it was on only one spot on the wall facing the front.
I hired a person to fix this mold and he tore the drywall and told me the bad news. It was all the inside walls facing towards the front which can't be seen from the inside of the house.
Fixing price went from $500 to $4600.
If I need to fix the outside part of the house so no more water can get inside the house, that would be another $8500.

I know it is my fault for not pursuing further but my inspector told me it was minor mold in one spot. He even ignored on his first report until I mentioned it. Seller did not lower the price even the less.
Did you ask the seller to lower the price when you found the mold?

Old 03-06-2010, 05:24 AM

995 posts, read 3,929,825 times
Since you asked what I would do, here's what I would do.

1. Fix it now out of your expense. Ask for referrals from the inspector. He may find you a deal.
2. Ask seller and inspector to share the cost. Nevertheless, it's not likely they will help.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 PM

talked to the agent and he said he can't help.

I guess since it is closed, they don't want to get involved.

They said I need to prove bank was trying to hide the fact. I do see some new drywall and paint but cinder block is still all black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate