U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:11 PM

402 posts, read 1,535,547 times

Advertisements

What do you all suggest for what to write into the offer as far as when we'd need a response? The bank I'm approved through is still doing USDA loans at the moment but because of their claim that they're running out of funds, I need to get the loan through sooner than later. It seems 48-72 hours would be adequate unless they are on vacation or something and in that case can let my agent know. Other posts here have said they'd be offended by a request for such a quick response, but since sellers are having such a hard time here, I imagine they might be fine with getting a fair offer, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 03:48 PM

35,888 posts, read 39,546,299 times
I personally don't care for this written into an offer. As a listing agent, the seller and I will move as quickly as possible to get you a response.

I can understand if you are in town a few days and your time is limited.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:55 PM

How do you determine when its time to move on, that possibly the seller isn't going to respond at all?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:57 PM

11,267 posts, read 30,423,828 times
What type of seller are you dealing with?

Old 03-16-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
What type of seller are you dealing with?
I don't know, I haven't made the offer yet. But just a "normal" sale, if that's what you mean. Not a short sale or bank owned.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:09 PM

In todays market, any seller would be crazy not to respond to a good qualified buyer quickly. If they are dragging their feet there maybe a reason like they are expecting another offer.

You and your agent will know what's reasonable. When you make your offer, if there is a problem the listing agent will tell you something like "My seller is in Honk Kong and it will be tomorrow before he sees my email"

Old 03-16-2010, 04:25 PM

20,759 posts, read 39,364,921 times
In Texas, since our contracts do not contain an "expiration date", writing it into the contract would be futile (though some agents persist in doing so, probably for clients who move here from out of state). Since the contract isn't a contract until all parties have agreed to ALL clauses AND signed off on them, it merely indicates a misunderstanding of what constitutes a contract on the part of the agent and the buyer.

However, a cover letter mentioning the need for a quick response and why (in your case, that's a pretty reasonable reason, in my opinion) would certainly be appropriate.

Also, if you are in such a time crunch, I'd have a Plan B ready if this one doesn't work out.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:29 PM

I imagine my agent can answer this, but I'll ask y'all anyway - so if you don't put in a "this offer expires on" date - since I'm in somewhat of a hurry, it is simple enough to just discontinue the offer if they don't respond, in order to move on and make an offer on House B? I wouldn't want to make an offer on House B and then the next day House A accepts. Is there paperwork involved in discontinuing the offer?

Old 03-16-2010, 04:35 PM

The 1st thing your agent will do is call & email the other agent and tell them "We are withdrawing our offer"

We do have a 1 page for "Withdrawal of Offer" that can be signed by the buyer and emailed to the Listing Agent.

I have had a few out of town clients who were pressed for time and had a house #2 they liked. When we did the offer I had them sign the withdrawal of offer which I held in their folder. That was in case we needed to move on quickly to the next house.

I've never had to use the Withdrawal when I've had them Pre-sign, the seller has always come through. Keep in mind very few sellers sign an offer as 1st recieved. If the make a change and counter you, it is a counter offer which voids your 1st offer.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:38 PM

20,759 posts, read 39,364,921 times
Yes, we have a form that can be used to terminate the offer, and, absolutely, if you have one in your state, use it and make sure it's delivered BEFORE putting in an offer on another house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate