Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 6,136 times

Advertisements

I am trying to come up with an offer price. The house is located in a nice neighbor and in a nice location (cul-de-sec). However, it might have been overpriced at $500,000 currently and has been on the market for a close to a year. The seller left out of country about two months ago, so there appears to be a high motivation to sell.

I don't have a buyer's agent at this point.

First, Do I need to get an agent for this transaction?

Secondly, I was thinking I can go up to $450k, but for an initial offer I hate to make an offer with my price in mind. But, what is going to be a fair offer price?

Please help me with a good negotiation strategy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 03:49 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
1-Get an agent.
2-Have agent run numbers.
3-Write offer. Include Pre-approval if you don't already have one.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:07 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,578,860 times
What Brandon said .

Old 03-21-2010, 08:01 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhobak View Post
I am trying to come up with an offer price. The house is located in a nice neighbor and in a nice location (cul-de-sec). However, it might have been overpriced at $500,000 currently and has been on the market for a close to a year. The seller left out of country about two months ago, so there appears to be a high motivation to sell.

I don't have a buyer's agent at this point.

First, Do I need to get an agent for this transaction?

Secondly, I was thinking I can go up to $450k, but for an initial offer I hate to make an offer with my price in mind. But, what is going to be a fair offer price?

Please help me with a good negotiation strategy here.
I would use a buyer's agent.

Does your local municipality have its records on line? If so, look at comparable properties that have sold recently and use those to write your offer NOT the asking price. An agent in your area can probably assist you.

Obviously the property is overpriced but unless you take a look at what comparable properties have sold for you can't tell if it is $100K or $50K over priced. I recently looked at two properties that are at least $200K over priced.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:19 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Not getting your own agent is probably the most expensive decision you'll make on the most important investment in your lifetime to date.

My brother was lured by a large credit union's rebate on real estate services. He found this offer after I had already lined him up with probably one of the top negotiators in our area (broker/owner of a very large franchise in Virginia). Yes sir, he got that 1% rebate $4500, but he also paid considerably more for the home. His offer was accepted first round with no counter offers and the home had been on the market for almost 6 months.

Way to go bro, what a deal you got!

Old 03-22-2010, 07:50 AM

98 posts, read 542,444 times
In most areas the real estate agents fiduciary responsibility is to the seller (whether they are obtained by the buyer or not), because the seller is the one paying them.
Even if you obtain your own agent to run comps and submit an offer do not disclose your maximum price to them as they are legally obliged to reveal this to the sellers agent.
(I learned this the hard way on my first purchase, I said "I would pay the asking price, but lets put in an offer of X". The sellers response was either pay full ask or I'll take it off the market!

I later took the real estate agents classes to become a more informed consumer and learned about this fiduciary responsibility - makes sense that agents ultimately work for the person who is going to pay them! (and the higher the selling price, the higher the commission!)

Old 03-22-2010, 08:02 AM

4 posts, read 5,346 times
hmm.. i would go for their suggestions above.. it would hassle free on your side if you hired an agent and let the agent do it's job.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:03 AM

4 posts, read 5,346 times
hmm.. i would go for their suggestions above.. it would be a hassle free on your side if you hired an agent and let the agent do his job.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:18 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,578,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winknod View Post
In most areas the real estate agents fiduciary responsibility is to the seller (whether they are obtained by the buyer or not), because the seller is the one paying them.
Even if you obtain your own agent to run comps and submit an offer do not disclose your maximum price to them as they are legally obliged to reveal this to the sellers agent.
Not true. Most areas have buyer agency with fiduciary responsibility to the buyer. Even those areas that may have a default of subagency have buyer agreements available that will require the agent to only represent the buyer.

When did your experience happen and where? What you said used to be true when subagency was prevalent. It may also depend on your state.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:45 AM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,613 times
[quote=winknod;13396289]In most areas the real estate agents fiduciary responsibility is to the seller (whether they are obtained by the buyer or not), because the seller is the one paying them.

The above highlited quote is completely inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate