U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 07:12 PM

38 posts, read 117,483 times

Advertisements

Anybody have their home insure by All State? I got quotes from All State, State Farm, and Farmers and it seems like A.S. is the cheaper of the three. I will go with A.S but just wanna hear what you guys think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 05:13 AM

64 posts, read 186,233 times
I have my HOI with Allstate, and it was cheaper for us as well...

Old 03-19-2010, 07:06 AM

2,405 posts, read 7,123,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb4play View Post
Anybody have their home insure by All State? I got quotes from All State, State Farm, and Farmers and it seems like A.S. is the cheaper of the three. I will go with A.S but just wanna hear what you guys think?

What State are you located in?

Old 03-19-2010, 09:23 AM

124 posts, read 501,031 times
We're in SC but formerly lived in Tennessee. I switched to Allstate for both home and auto about five years ago to consolidate several policies, having found Allstate much cheaper than others. I've not had a homeowners claim but it found the process easy and very satisfactory on an auto claim I made. I've been very happy with Allstate and the premiums have infrequently and minimally gone up (unlike the previous insurance company that substantially raised our rates year after year), with rates even dropping on a couple of policies when we moved. I've been very satisfied with Allstate.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
What State are you located in?
California...

Old 03-19-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgal View Post
We're in SC but formerly lived in Tennessee. I switched to Allstate for both home and auto about five years ago to consolidate several policies, having found Allstate much cheaper than others. I've not had a homeowners claim but it found the process easy and very satisfactory on an auto claim I made. I've been very happy with Allstate and the premiums have infrequently and minimally gone up (unlike the previous insurance company that substantially raised our rates year after year), with rates even dropping on a couple of policies when we moved. I've been very satisfied with Allstate.
Glad to hear that you are satisfied. I will be going with all state also. I was quote for $48/month compare to $60/month at state farm and farmers. If i was to have my auto with all state, i could have about $5 per month but when they quote me for my auto, it was much higher than what im paying now with my current auto insurance company.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:31 AM

39 posts, read 112,289 times
Mb4play Allstate doesnt sell homeowners insurance in California anymore because they were not profitable. Allstate is quoting you a policy from an outside company and I can gaurantee it is not as comprehensive as a Farmers or State Farm policy. Ask the Allstate agent what company he is underwriting you through.... try not to just look at price but compare coverages.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:45 AM

2,405 posts, read 7,123,785 times
The reason I ask is each State is different in its insurance regulations and the information they have available to consumers. Here in Texas insurance providers, brokers, agents, are heavily regulated and Texas Department of Insurance provides some outstanding tools to compare policies as far as what is/is not covered, rates, exclusions, etc. California does have a smaller subset of what we have here and can be found at your Department of Insurance WEB site of Workers Comp Rate (http://www.insurance.ca.gov/0100-consumers/0040-studies-reports/0010-compare-premiums/index.cfm - broken link).

The problem with insurance today, and many people are not aware of this, are the amount of mark-up on policies with the "Big Box" insurers such as Allstate, State Farm, etc. By the time you get a policy quote from them there most likely have been several levels above that have marked up the policy from the original underwriter. To give you an idea how dramatic the mark-up could be I just changed from a very large big box and went to an independent insurance broker. I used the Texas tools to make sure the underwriter he was obtaining the insurance from was a licensed carrier in Texas and that their policy included as much coverage as my "Big Box" policy. It actually had slightly more coverage than "Big Box". The new underwriter is an A+ admitted carrier and is a HUGE national name. By cutting out all of the middleman mark-up I went from approximately $3300 a year to $1200 a year. That's a huge amount of mark-up!!

The role of "Big Box" used to be dramatically different 30 years ago than today. Back then you could go to your Agent and he really looked out for you. Yes, there are some "Big Box" Agents that still do that but their hands are tied significantly by the "Big Box" corporate policies. The "Big Box" Agent's role has now been relegated mostly to networking and marketing locally to pick up more business for their branch. I've known three "Big Box" Agents who left and became independent Brokers so they could have the freedom to provide significant discounts and service well above what the "Big Boxes" provide.

You might want to shop around using the California tools noted above. If the price differences between "Big Box" and independent Agent are small then by all means go with the "Big Box". But you never know what you can come up with.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sactown1980 View Post
Mb4play Allstate doesnt sell homeowners insurance in California anymore because they were not profitable. Allstate is quoting you a policy from an outside company and I can gaurantee it is not as comprehensive as a Farmers or State Farm policy. Ask the Allstate agent what company he is underwriting you through.... try not to just look at price but compare coverages.
I just asked the agent at allstate and she is writing me through a company called Tower Select Insurance. Here is my coverage on the quote.

Coverage: (first number is the limit and seconce is the cost)
A. Building Limit: $252,896 Premium: $674
Repl. or Repair on Building
C. Personal Property $177,027 $0
D. Personal Liability $1,000,000 $40
E. Loss of use $50,500 $0
F. Medical Payment $4,000 $9
Basic premium policy total $723.00

Discount on Roof, new owner, etc...bring it down to $572.00

Old 03-19-2010, 03:50 PM

10,777 posts, read 19,132,259 times
We've got Allstate Floridian,or whatever it's called these days. They're affordable by Florida standards, and actually haven't dropped us yet even though we made a claim in 2003. (Homeowner's insurance down here is different, and getting an annual renewal notice is actually a big deal)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate