Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 04:50 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHomeHunter View Post
Then CA will finally be a true buyer's market. All of the offers I have put on in the last 4 months have been outbid!
You have to factor in a few things about the CA market:

1.) Buyers are HEAVILY overestimating the advantage of the $8,000 tax credit. Ask any buyer right now why they are buying and this will be one of the answers. But its a 2% discount on a $400K home...akin to getting a candy bar that is normally $0.50 for $0.49.

2.) Many many many shady realtors in Southern California. "There are multiple bids" is the standard. This results in a feeding frenzy attitude amoung those that are emotionally driven in their housing purchase. Its not always true.

3.) Much inventory is not being released to market. This is artificially creating a shortage of decent houses that is directly linked to #2.

4.) I also think So Cal buyers are heavily overestimating the impact of low interest rates. What I am hearing is that most buyers are putting a lot down(in some cases 40-60%). If this is so, right now is probably the worst time ever for them to buy since prices should drop when interest rates rise. Notice I said "when", not "if". Interest rates are impossibly low right now, and can't get lower. So there is no "if". It's just a matter of when.

IMO, just sit and wait. The conventional wisdom right now amoung people actively looking to buy in So Cal is "Best time to buy ever", and that old standby "Real estate is never a bad investment". If you repeat the stuff I said here, your co workers and friends will look at you like you are crazy. So even though some internet sites are bearish on the housing market, most out there are not. And really we are at the tipping point. The market made its "correction", did its fake recovery, and is now ready for a multi year plunge. This is more true in So Cal than every where else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 03:47 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
Where specifically did you find a Case-Shiller index for your particular house? And future values?

I'm looking over their website, and Atlanta is only showing a 4% drop YOY.
My real estate agent gave me a report. (looks like a spreadsheet she created) She first gave me the report back in December, then I had her run it again in March. The current value and projected values are all lower now than they were in December.

I'm going to ask her where she got the data and if I can run some addresses in FL that we are interested in. Might as well take advantage of that info. I couldn't find it by individual house on the internet either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate