Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:53 PM

274 posts, read 708,785 times

Advertisements

One of the main purposes of an agent is to foster understanding of the law, the process, the forms, etc. The standard contract form used in this area is for use of licensed agents only. Your best bet is to work with a well-known title company (headed by an attorney) who can help you navigate a contract and your obligations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo72 View Post
I thank you all for your responses, I do know where to get forms, but I like to keep my options open...and perhaps someone on this forum may have better forms than I have. With the last real estate agent I had (whom I fired) I felt that the agent was actually working against me and not for me. So at this moment in time I'm a little soured on the real estate agent front.

Thanks again for all the responses and please keep them coming.

Wahoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,425,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo72 View Post
I thank you all for your responses, I do know where to get forms, but I like to keep my options open...and perhaps someone on this forum may have better forms than I have. With the last real estate agent I had (whom I fired) I felt that the agent was actually working against me and not for me. So at this moment in time I'm a little soured on the real estate agent front.

Thanks again for all the responses and please keep them coming.

Wahoo
Wow. You're going to s***w yourself because you didn't like a person?

I'd take some time to think that one through before doing anything.

If you're on a random forum asking folks you don't know about real estate advice, what on Earth makes you think it's a good idea to buy a house without any type of assistance from someone that does it for a living?

This is a tragedy just looking for a place to happen.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Wow. You're going to s***w yourself because you didn't like a person?

I'd take some time to think that one through before doing anything.

If you're on a random forum asking folks you don't know about real estate advice, what on Earth makes you think it's a good idea to buy a house without any type of assistance from someone that does it for a living?

This is a tragedy just looking for a place to happen.

Your agent and seller agent= sold the house and make $$$$$ ....some work for you some no....just make a impresion they work for you,but the job is to sale the house for both agents. Is good to have a agent but is much better to know what you will buy, and how good is your agent in negociation for you.If he want to do somenting for you is to take a good deal for you, not just make a paper,and take $1000 repair after inspection. This is normal. Some agents are very good to sell a house but zero when they whant to buy one.....look around the area who sold the house in the last month and this is one good for you.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:19 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
I just hope the OP doesn't have a bad experience with a doctor.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:52 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,897,165 times
Just get an attorney who specializes in R.E.

He/she will have forms and plenty of advice. You'll need one for the closing- might as well get a good one now.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,551 times
As pointed out by many, NOT having an agent (who YOU don't even have to pay) is sorta like going to court and saying, "I'll represent my self and the OTHER person's lawyer will help me out....?!?!?!".
The agent you fired MAY have only been telling you things that you didn't want to hear, but they were actually in YOUR best interests, as your brief statements here seem to indicate that you really, deep down, do not know exactly what to do, but only think you do. This is not like dickering to buy the used car sold by the guy down the street. This is a HUGE PILE of legal issues and you're stepping right into that pile. Remember, the fired agent doesn't get paid unless you actually buy the property, so there's no need for them to work for the other party and keep you from buying. As I said, they may have been very conscientious and tried to warn you about the dangers of the purchase of THAT particular house, but would have been glad to help you find another, possibly BETTER property.
Since this isn't what you wanna hear, I guess I'm fired too.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:41 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,354 times
If the 6% is automatic, whether or not work is done, and a buyer submits a contract which would reduce the commission to 3% plus attorney cost, then wouldn't the sellers agent be obligated to show it to the seller? I think the agent has to show every offer. Then the seller and sellers agent could agree to it. Do you really think the seller would keep an agent that wouldn't work for 3%? That's what they would have gotten if the buyer used an agent instead of a RE attorney.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
A real estate agent is in no way comparable to a doctor. Eight years of school plus residency vs a few classes and an exam? The only thing in common may be the lexus SUV

Old 04-02-2010, 02:37 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,079,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo72
With the last real estate agent I had (whom I fired) ...
at this moment in time I'm a little soured on the
real estate agent front. ...
I fired my RE agent when I sold my last house.

After that ( the next day ) I lined up another one.
The one I fired was bad. The next agent was good.

It's funny how that works. There are some bad mechanics and some
good ones. There are some bad lawn care people and good ones.

Since I'm not qualified to sell my own house,
I went with a person who does that for a living.

Since I'm not qualfied to work on my own car,
I hire out for that too.

I am qualified to do my own yard work, so ....

I am extremely qualified to do my own taxes, so ....
( Most people hire out. Some tax preparers are bad. )

Why didn't you line up another RE agent before you fired your last one?
Generally a personal recommendation from someone else who you trust
is enough to find one that is good.

There's a reason that people become RE agents. It's a specialized
business that requires constant re-education and experience.
Unless you want to do it for a hobby or a second job, you should
always have one for such transactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6
A real estate agent is in no way comparable to a doctor.
The example was quite comparable. Hyperbole is always welcome.

Sometimes, you have to use your big stick!
manderly6 knows how to swing it!

Old 04-02-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
I

The example was quite comparable. Hyperbole is always welcome.

Sometimes, you have to use your big stick!
manderly6 knows how to swing it!

the doctor comparison is laughable. it takes a few months to become a real estate agent. barriers to entry can't get much lower. unless you know nothing about RE or haven't bought before, then it's over priced hand holding. i wouldn't take advice from an agent anyway. they only get paid if a sale goes through because they are commissioned sales people. a lawyer gets paid for the actual advice and have much more schooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate