Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 04:00 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,903,826 times

Advertisements

I think after it's all over, a twice monthly drive by their house to throw a hand full of roofing nails in their driveway would be tempting. Ohhh so tempting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 04:56 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Make two formal complaints.

1: The state association of Realtors.

2: The agency that licenses Real Estate Brokers and Agents.

Those two entities do not fool around when a Real Estate Licensee pulls something like this. They can get you fast action.

It was sold by a Realtor that on his disclosure statement, showed no problems. On the other hand, the renters had notified the owners (Real estate licensed agents/brokers) of the existing problems.

You would be surprised how much pressure to solve your problem that these two entities can put forth. Get fast action this way, where an attorney and courts can take a year to several years to solve the problem.

Their licenses are at risk if they don't solve the problem immediately. The attorney and courts take over when those two entities are done if needed.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:14 PM

6,479 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

Those two entities do not fool around when a Real Estate Licensee pulls something like this. They can get you fast action.

It was sold by a Realtor that on his disclosure statement, showed no problems. On the other hand, the renters had notified the owners (Real estate licensed agents/brokers) of the existing problems.

You would be surprised how much pressure to solve your problem that these two entities can put forth. Get fast action this way, where an attorney and courts can take a year to several years to solve the problem.

Their licenses are at risk if they don't solve the problem immediately. The attorney and courts take over when those two entities are done if needed.
Definitely excellent advice. Go for the juggler vein.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:19 PM

6,479 posts, read 10,350,022 times
I addition to oldtrader's suggestion, I suggest reporting it first to the local Realtor board if not done so already. With most local boards, the case is evaluated locally and if deemed to be a true case of liability, sent directly to the state Real Estate board. I encourage the OP to make it known to anyone willing to listen, including a local newspaper and or/television station who love these kind of stories.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:45 AM

225 posts, read 426,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

I'm not sure what state you live in, but PA doesn't seem to move real fast. I filed with the PA Real Estate Commission six years ago and they've called a couple times in those years...but basically to see how my own court case was going. It seems as if they're waiting for that outcome to see what they can do?! So I would love you "Get fast action this way" to be true...but not so sure about that. I presented them with mounds of evidence and paperwork, so not sure what they're waiting for....

Old 04-04-2016, 09:45 AM

Does anyone have any accounting knowledge and could give me any insight on whether a person pays income tax on a settlement?

If I get a settlement to recover my losses for this house situtation, next year I have to pay?

I've researched a little and it seems as if it was a personal injury case, you don't have to...but all others you do? And since mine wasn't personal injury....

Don't get me wrong, I'll be so very happy to have this all end...but, of course, my attorney wants a fee...and taxes....I still got no where near what I've lost. And the other attorney tried to say this was going to be a windfall for me...haha, he's funny...not sure how he's figured that one out.

Once again, any information I can get on this better. I'd like to have an idea in my head when I go to my attorney's office this week to talk about his fee. He didn't think I'd have to pay taxes but then again, told me he wasn't an accountant and to call one. I want him to know what amount I take home isn't the final amount.

Back to the positivity....I think it may be over. I bought "FOR SALE" signs this weekend to put on the house. Now let's hope someone takes it off my hands.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:14 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
It depends on how the settlement is categorized. This will hopefully help.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4345.pdf

It's probably not the best time to try calling the IRS given that it's almost income tax day, but they are generally pretty helpful when you call.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:19 AM

Thank you for your response. I printed out that information to read and I just may call the IRS, that's a good suggestion to try.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:06 PM

Six years later and I think it's over. I'm sure you all thought it was never going to end...because I wasn't so sure at times. I still have to sell the property though.

I did get a settlement and I am extremely grateful, appreciative and happy about that. It wasn't as much as my expenses lost really were since the judge didn't include every expense. It was mostly taxes and utility payments. I didn't get my attorney fees reimbursed nor expenses related to the trial (structural engineer fee, sewer expert fee, etc.). Once again, I'm grateful for what I got and that it is over.

One of my negative feelings on the whole thing is how did the other party actually get punished? They received this big lump of money when I purchased the house and had to pay me almost that much back. So what are they out?! Sure, they had to pay attorney fees. I wish they would have had to also pay back the mortgage that the USDA forgave. I feel as if they should have gotten some more sort of punishment. I didn't get punitive damages neither.

Time to finally move on with my life.....

Old 04-11-2016, 02:23 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,700,099 times
Congratulations. You've been through a lot on this problem. I hope from now on things a peaceful for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate