Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:36 PM

458 posts, read 1,671,301 times

Advertisements

Please don't try to be funny when you are inspecting my house. If the roof will cost about $200 to fix, don't initially tell me $800 just to see if it will upset me. If the mildew in the shower isn't mold, please just say so the first time, instead of trying to upset me by pretending it's worse than it is. You're here to inspect my home, you're being paid very well to do it, please retain your professionalism. I don't like having to ask you three or four times in order to get an honest answer, while you slyly try to wink at my husband because it's so funny.

Has anyone else had an experience like this with a home inspector? How common is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 02:42 PM

434 posts, read 1,310,082 times
God, no. Sounds like an idiot....I mean that in the nicest way possible. I would never use that inspector again!

Old 06-28-2010, 02:43 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,802,955 times
I haven't had that experience. We did just use a home inspector and he arrived at least 30 min early, so my husband missed out on some of the inspection. (attic and hot tub)

I would have to say something to your guy later, like "I love to recommend professional home inspectors to my friends and associates, but I found your conduct to be less than professional, so I might not be able to do so."

Old 06-28-2010, 03:16 PM

178 posts, read 540,664 times
You got one of those guys who finds himself highly amusing. Definitely something wrong upstairs and I don't mean the attic <wink wink>

I would have been tempted to fix him with a no-nonsense look and query him about his professional credentials, and for the names of his 3 most recent clients for reference, just to let him know he wasn't impressing me in the right way.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:46 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,927,256 times
If you got the name from a real estate agent, I would definitely let them know.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:50 PM

15,580 posts, read 40,450,935 times
Out here home inspectors can't quote repairs nor can they do work on any homes they inspect. Unless a home inspector is a general contractor who is active as a general contractor I don't see how they can possibly quote any repairs. Cost of materials changes constantly.

So, me. Nope I've never experienced that.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:10 PM

3,075 posts, read 8,421,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
Please don't try to be funny when you are inspecting my house. If the roof will cost about $200 to fix, don't initially tell me $800 just to see if it will upset me. If the mildew in the shower isn't mold, please just say so the first time, instead of trying to upset me by pretending it's worse than it is. You're here to inspect my home, you're being paid very well to do it, please retain your professionalism. I don't like having to ask you three or four times in order to get an honest answer, while you slyly try to wink at my husband because it's so funny.

Has anyone else had an experience like this with a home inspector? How common is it?
Three words "Not very professional". I do try to lighten the mood a little when I see an anxious client, if I think it would help. But I certainly don't do it that way. It sounds more to me like the Inspector was trying a "Two-Step" and throwing in a lot of trash to hide what he/she wasn't telling you! Hopefully your written report was worth looking at and not an example of the same actions displayed on the site?

To answer the original question, not common at all that I am aware of! I have not heard of any of that type behavior here in the Dallas area yet.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:14 PM

458 posts, read 1,671,301 times
The report was well written. I think it was just a personality thing. Glad to know it isn't common!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:33 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,204,558 times
Be sure and tell your Realtor - that behaviour would irritate me, too.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:48 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
Which is why sellers shouldn't be there for inspections. I actually have a bigger problem with them quoting repair prices at all rather than joking however inappropriate. The inspector inspects, the contractor quotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate