Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:00 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times

Advertisements

Agree with Silverfall. Respond very politely that you can understand that in today's climate the seller may have a concern that you indeed have sufficient funds to support your pre-approved financing and that will provide proof of those funds w/i 3 days of a signed contract. Then only show that you have the money needed for down payment, not every bank/financial statement in your personal portfolio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,897,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaribu2000 View Post
I confirmed with my agent and the seller wants to see my statements to prove I have the money for the time of closing. Should I show it?
I'm sorry but.. there is a HUGE difference between showing proof of funds to close and showing bank statements. When someone asks for 'proof of funds', that is a letter from the bank where you have the funds or if you have them in escrow somewhere, then a letter from them. If it is in a 401k or something similar, then you get a letter from the fund stating you have funds that are able to be released to you in such and such amount (whatever you need to get the deal done). Other than that, the seller isn't entitled to anything else.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
I agree with palmcoasting, best to just get a letter from your bank/institution confirming you have the necessary funds. Next best is to provide just enough statements to show sufficient funds and no more. Blank out any confidential account numbers etc. This is typical to provide for an all cash purchase, unusual for lender financing.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
I agree with palmcoasting and rjrcm. In my area, it is fairly normal for a seller to ask for something like this on an all cash deal, but not on a financed deal. If they want something, I would get either your lender or your banker or accountant to write a statement that they are familiar with your personal financial situation and know that you have sufficient funds to do this transaction.

A seller has no right to see your bank statement. Proof of funds is sufficient. There is nothing that says you even have to have your money IN a bank, to HAVE a bank statement. Maybe you just have that much cash in your mattress.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I would just write a clause in the contract that you are willing to show proof of funds within 3 days after mutual acceptance of the offer. Their concern is valid, but I don't believe in showing anyone financial statements until you have an agreed upon contract.
I agree with this.

Pre-approval is a loose term. Sometimes it means a lender ran a credit report. Other times it means the lender verified income and assets. Regardless, all pre-approvals contain contingencies, including verification of sufficient funds to close. Having a pre-approval letter does not guarantee the sale will close.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:08 PM

412 posts, read 939,371 times
Some of you think that showing some sort of proof of funds is OK. I don't know much about real estate transactions, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Do lots of buyers lie to their lenders about the money they have available for a down-payment or something?

Old 04-06-2010, 03:30 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
I'd suggest 2bindenver has it right - the seller may want to be sure you have the cash to close.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:17 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchi View Post
Some of you think that showing some sort of proof of funds is OK. I don't know much about real estate transactions, but it just doesn't make sense to me. Do lots of buyers lie to their lenders about the money they have available for a down-payment or something?
No, not lots. It's rare but it happens.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
I wouldn't provide any proof of funds until the offer has been accepted or at least countered to include that term in the written contract. It can be made as part of a written counter-offer by the seller and once the buyer signs counter and provides "proof" along with earnest $, they are officially "under contract".

Old 04-06-2010, 06:36 PM

410 posts, read 1,293,429 times
The seller just doesn't want to waste time with someone who is over reaching or may be cutting it really close only to get turned down by the bank at the last minute (this is my guess anyway), so I totally agree with the others, just offer proof of funds from your bank for the amount that it would take to close (down payment, closing costs, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate