Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 04:39 AM

26 posts, read 180,021 times

Advertisements

Hi Forum,

I have a ratified contract on my home. I am concerned about the appraisal.
My RE Agent tells me that the appraisal has been ordered by the buyer, but cannot provide a specific date. The lender for the buyer is the VA.

I'm also concerned that the appraisal won't come in at the asking price...

Thanks for your responses.

Wahoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 07:45 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,619,427 times
And your question or problem is..........

Old 04-03-2010, 09:33 AM

8,676 posts, read 22,929,260 times
The buyer and the realtors and the buyer's lender have ZERO control over the appraisal and when it's done. The VA appraiser will contact you when he or she is ready to come out. Typically, they will contact you within 10 days of receiving the order and then have another 10 days from the date of the inspection. Of course, delays are possible (phone calls not returned when the appraiser is calling to verify information in the MLS).

You don't know me, but trust me on this - go sit on the deck or sit at the kitchen table when the appraiser comes. Do not follow him room to room. More sellers screw up the appraisal on their own home by being chatty-Kathys. If the appraiser asks a question, keep the answer to "yes" or "no." Don't embellish, don't chit-chat. I wish I had duct tape to put on the seller's mouths (or owner if refinancing) when the appraiser visits. Better yet, keep it on lockbox and don't be there. They want to get in and out. These guys are licensed and bonded, more than most strangers that visit your home.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
The buyer and the realtors and the buyer's lender have ZERO control over the appraisal and when it's done. The VA appraiser will contact you when he or she is ready to come out. Typically, they will contact you within 10 days of receiving the order and then have another 10 days from the date of the inspection. Of course, delays are possible (phone calls not returned when the appraiser is calling to verify information in the MLS).

You don't know me, but trust me on this - go sit on the deck or sit at the kitchen table when the appraiser comes. Do not follow him room to room. More sellers screw up the appraisal on their own home by being chatty-Kathys. If the appraiser asks a question, keep the answer to "yes" or "no." Don't embellish, don't chit-chat. I wish I had duct tape to put on the seller's mouths (or owner if refinancing) when the appraiser visits. Better yet, keep it on lockbox and don't be there. They want to get in and out. These guys are licensed and bonded, more than most strangers that visit your home.

Thanks SmartMoney - you answered my question that I didn't specifically ask. You gave more info than my real estate agent did.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:31 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,548,167 times
Quote:
These guys are licensed and bonded, more than most strangers that visit your home.
Even us gals are

I do not go into houses that are occupied without either the residents or the agent present. Ever.

There are plenty of horror stories about appraisers whose opinion of value came in under what they were "needing" and all of a sudden the homeowner came up missing things from the house.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:40 PM

8,676 posts, read 22,929,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
Even us gals are

I do not go into houses that are occupied without either the residents or the agent present. Ever.

There are plenty of horror stories about appraisers whose opinion of value came in under what they were "needing" and all of a sudden the homeowner came up missing things from the house.

Good lord.....I didn't think of that.....Wahaoo 72, develop a case of laryngitis if you follow the appraiser or the appraiser asks you to follow.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:34 PM

Appraisal has been don e and we go the results back in two days. It made the appraisal.

Thanks for the info forum.

Wahoo72

Old 04-09-2010, 07:57 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,548,167 times
Quote:
Good lord.....I didn't think of that.....Wahaoo 72, develop a case of laryngitis if you follow the appraiser or the appraiser asks you to follow.
Actually, I like it when the home owner talks a lot. You can find out a lot of stuff you otherwise may not know.

Of course, we work as a team so one of us does the appraisal stuff and the other runs interference so the "appraiser on duty" can concentrate.

A friend of ours has a few sheets of paper explaining the appraisal process, why he cannot discuss the appraisal with the homeowner/agent etc etc. He says it keeps them busy reading for a while and by the time they are done, he is done and can talk again. (about things NOT directly related to the Subject, of course)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate