Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 11:51 AM

225 posts, read 426,027 times

Advertisements

I had the code enforecement official come up to the house and check it out. All he did was watch the video and smell it and he knew it was unhabitable. The next day I went to check my mail and the house was posted with signs saying "Do Not Rent or Occupy" and "Unsafe and Unsanitary." Even though I knew it was coming, what a kick in the stomach it was to see that....it made me nauseous. I was told by my lawyer to get a letter from an official saying I can't stay there, so I did. I sent all the paperwork (structural engineer report, letter saying I couldn't live there, pics of the house posted, my 10-pg outline of every single thing that occurred) to the mortgage company, who was to discuss it last Thursday and get back to me. I'm hoping they can freeze the mortgage or something. I shouldn't have to pay for a house that I was forced out of beyond my control.

And yes, I have spoken to the previous renters. That was a huge turning point for me when I didn't really know what was going on with the house. I had received mail for the previous tenant and tried for 2 weeks to track her down, but had no luck until one day I found a new last name for her. I found her on MySpace and e-mailed her a basic note saying did you live in this house and had you ever had problems. She came back with a horrifying response. She basically said OMG, I'm so sorry you bought that house. It is full of black mold and water problems. She said she told the sellers (her landlord) and all they did was pour bleach down the vents, paint, and eventually they had to move her. So it is obvious that the sellers definitely knew there was major problems. They knew there was mold and water/sewage problems, yet the disclosure said NO to all that.

Slabs aren't very common in PA, but where my house was, there was 10 houses in a row built identical on slabs. The next door neighbor said when he moved in in the late 50's he had water issues but took care of it the proper way and never really had major problems. The houses all have a hill behind them, too. At first, we weren't sure if it was water run-off (which I believe is a problem as well). My driveway was the only one with water running down it and sitting at the bottom of the driveway. I asked the township about this and they said they knew about it for some time. They thought it was water run-off, I'm not so sure it isn't gray water (water from sinks and stuff, not raw sewage). So it was known by many, but NEVER disclosed. Nice people. There was no water in the driveway when we looked at the house several times, because no water was being used, no toilets being flushed, no washing machine being used, etc.

When researching slabs, a lot seem to be single-story ranch-style homes, which is what my house is. I have NEVER heard of sewage getting in the heating ducts--it is unheard of!! But I have read a lot about water in the ducts. I'm not sure what the problem is with slabs, but it scares me anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 01:01 PM

445 posts, read 1,605,256 times
I can tell you have done quite a bit of reading on the subject - I am SO sorry that this happened to you - should not happen to anyone...
I think these people should be in jail - yeah I know innocent until proven guilty but I was thinking more on the lines of protective custody.

My son was wondering why I got so freaked out when he started talking about buying a foreclosure from the bank

As long as the process is moving along - as slowly as it must seem to you, be patient. A letter to the Real Estate Commission with attachments is a very good idea.. keep us posted - take care

Old 04-09-2010, 01:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Homes here are virtually always on a slab. Basements in less than 5% of the homes.

However I have never seen a home here with duct work under the slab. Always in the overhead.

Soils here are strongly alkaline which may be why no below ground ductwork. Just get a little water, alkaline soil and metal vanishes. While it is a desert a little water from a sprinkler or a leak is not uncommon.

That the seller has large local property holdings is a good thing. I would however be quite concerned in that they tried this. They have been in the business so they knew they were going to get sued. That would make me concerned that they have reason to believe that you won't be able to collect...they are about to go bankrupt for instance. Or all their resources are already moved out of reach.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenoid View Post
I can tell you have done quite a bit of reading on the subject - I am SO sorry that this happened to you - should not happen to anyone...
I think these people should be in jail - yeah I know innocent until proven guilty but I was thinking more on the lines of protective custody.

My son was wondering why I got so freaked out when he started talking about buying a foreclosure from the bank

As long as the process is moving along - as slowly as it must seem to you, be patient. A letter to the Real Estate Commission with attachments is a very good idea.. keep us posted - take care

Thanks Treenoid. They SHOULD be in jail. They put my family's lives in danger. And I plan on filing a complaint with the Real Estate Commission. As a matter of fact, I printed out the form and filled it out, just wanted to talk to the lawyer first and make sure I should, or see if I should wait and see what happens. I was also told to file a complaint with the Attorney General. I have learned SO SO much from this ordeal. When the opportunity ever comes to buy a new home, I know so much to look for and do. I guess this was a learning experience, a very bad one. And yeah, I think I would be a little hesitant about a foreclosure, too. Yes, there are some out there that I'm sure would be a great deal, but then there are others.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Homes here are virtually always on a slab. Basements in less than 5% of the homes.

However I have never seen a home here with duct work under the slab. Always in the overhead.

Soils here are strongly alkaline which may be why no below ground ductwork. Just get a little water, alkaline soil and metal vanishes. While it is a desert a little water from a sprinkler or a leak is not uncommon.

That the seller has large local property holdings is a good thing. I would however be quite concerned in that they tried this. They have been in the business so they knew they were going to get sued. That would make me concerned that they have reason to believe that you won't be able to collect...they are about to go bankrupt for instance. Or all their resources are already moved out of reach.
Before we knew the severity of the problems of the house, when we were talking repairs we were definitely going to run the heating overhead. The builders of this house were dumb to put it below. Too many problems.

I just wonder what these sellers are thinking right now. They know I've had a lot of professionals investigating; they received a letter from my insurance company inviting them over on the day everyone was at the house to figure out the problems. Of course, they didn't show. They are scared. They still own a lot of properties in this town and some surrounding towns. Plus, they have a lot of homes for sell. And they rent. They have money. And yet my first impression of the wife wasn't a good one. Sometimes you just get a vibe from people and she seemed like a greedy person (I only met her at closing). And when the home inspection was taking place, this lady was practically hounding the inspector. He made a comment to my boyfriend that she just needs to leave him alone. I now feel she was very worried about what could have been found.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 717 times
what kind of attorney would handle this type of problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate