U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2010, 01:51 PM

428 posts, read 1,573,198 times

Advertisements

Does the earnest money still go to the title company to be held in the case of a FSBO? The title co. cashes the check once the offer is approved, is that how it works? I'm not willing to give the seller any $$ directly so I wondered how it might work.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 02:54 PM

4,511 posts, read 12,518,557 times
Yes, I recommend using a title/escrow company to hold the earnest money. Never give it directly to the seller. You give the title co the earnest money along with the executed sales contract. They will then open escrow and deposit the check into the escrow account. Your contract should include the conditions under which the seller may get the earnest money (or not) if the purchase is canceled for some reason.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Does the seller normally expect to keep the earnest money if the financing falls through, or is that what a "financing contigency" in the contract is for? In what kinds of situations would a seller want to keep the earnest money? In a "regular" sale where a property is on the MLS, I understand the idea that they lose some potential buyers when a house is in the pending stage and want some compensation for that. In a FSBO only a handful of people even know about the house being on the market (especially this one, with no sign, no listing on any of the FSBO sites) so I wouldn't be hurting his potential sale much.

Old 04-13-2010, 04:55 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,346,151 times
You need to get yourself an attorney if you don't have a RealtorĀ® involved. Do NOT sign anything you don't understand or know the ramifications of.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:31 PM

I have an agent representing me. I'm just asking questions beforehand.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:48 PM

4,511 posts, read 12,518,557 times
You should review your concerns with your agent. Contract terms and conditions affecting earnest money vary from state to state. Your agent will likely use their standard purchase contract, and should be able to explain how it applies to your situation.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:48 PM

472 posts, read 782,482 times
As a seller of FSBO, twice, I was given the earnest money. When I was the buyer of a FSBO, twice, I gave the seller the earnest money.

The title company wasn't involved until later in each transaction, so giving earnest money to title company wasn't feasible.

This is typical of most FSBO's I understand. There should be an amount of earnest money written into the purchase contract and who is holding it. Any real estate attorney can advise you.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:38 PM

36,936 posts, read 64,282,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm2010 View Post
As a seller of FSBO, twice, I was given the earnest money. When I was the buyer of a FSBO, twice, I gave the seller the earnest money.

The title company wasn't involved until later in each transaction, so giving earnest money to title company wasn't feasible.

This is typical of most FSBO's I understand. There should be an amount of earnest money written into the purchase contract and who is holding it. Any real estate attorney can advise you.
I would not give EMD to a Seller.
I would want it in a professional trust account, either an agent, title company, or attorney.

The escrow agent should be identified early in the transaction, preferably in the contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate