Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:48 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,844 times

Advertisements

Wow, is that commercial serious?!

Do I know you? We had some friends who moved from CO to WI recently

We moved recently too and I felt pressured to buy, but regret it a tad now that I've seen more things come on the market. I should have listened to my husband and rented for a while while we looked around instead of buying right away. However, hindsight is 20/20 and if he'd convinced me and we were renting right now I'd probably be mad about it and not have the vantage point I have from here.

That said, I have no idea how to convince your wife. I guess you should shop around and see if there really aren't any houses that woudl make you both happy right now, and maybe there are and the disagreement isn't necessary. if you find something you can easily afford and you both love, then go ahead and buy now even if the market will change later. But definately don't buy something you can't afford because then if prices drop you really WILL regret it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 02:52 PM

355 posts, read 1,479,524 times
That commercial is 100% real. It's a 100% legit Century 21 commercial from 2006 or 2007...right around the peak. I'm sure many who were responsible for it now regret it was ever made (but I wouldn't be surprised if just as many at the company see nothing wrong with it). Various comments on the video there do a wonderful job of analyzing what the ad execs were thinking when they put that trash out.

I especially love the facial expressions the nasty shrew makes, from the pouty confused "are you actually stepping up to me" look 10 seconds in, to the "WHAT?" thug throwdown shoulder move she makes a few seconds later. It looks as if she's ready to slug him, or better yet, give him a nice big open handed SLAP if he doesn't do as he's told.

"Are you serious?" she asks, not if he's serious about getting the house, but about how easy it was to steamroll the spineless slob.

And the portrayal of the fat, balding, gutless emasculated loser...just a beautiful representation of what Century 21 and their ad agency thought of the average US husband and wife.

And Suzanne, the realtor, on speakerphone...boy I still laugh every time I see this commercial...and I have to watch it every few months to remind myself why I'm still waiting this madness out.

Last edited by Delron; 04-19-2010 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 09:56 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delron View Post
Amerifree, it sounds like you need to put your foot down and man up.

Very sound advice, thanks. The "Man Up and Put My Foot Down" part would not have the most desirable outcome, so I'll pass on that. I did make a mistake with our last home purchase by relenting to her sole choice. I learned from that experience. I also agree with the previous poster, that if the right house pops up to go ahead and pull the trigger.
That said, I've followed Patrick.net analysis reports for two years and have been "sticking to my guns". That's primarily why we haven't purchased to date (thank God, and CD). It truely would be a mistake to knowingly step into a position of financial lose and regret.
I do have a short list of rentals to fall back on, in the likelyhood we don't find a great house with a sweet deal.

I remember that commercial. It's a timeless classic...like those 70's houses I recently toured. Thanks for sharing. Most posters here genuinely care and are passionate about this industry. I wanted to share this with everyone because, at this critical juncture, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here. Thanks, I'll update to share the outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate