Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,608,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
In Indiana, there would be a padlock on the broker's office & they'd be under investigation quicker than you can say ... well, um, let's just say it would be super quick.
Same here, assuming the listing broker was the escrow agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Apologies - my use of terminology was incorrect. While I cannot say with certainty where our earnest money was deposited, the check that bounced was from a client trust account. It was NOT from our account - our check cleared without incident. I've never bounced a check in my life.

From what I have researched I cannot see how it can be a "simple screw up" - but again, I come here to be corrected if needs be.

So far, we have been offered no explanation either.
Who was your check made payable to?

Old 04-23-2010, 09:30 AM

15,539 posts, read 40,308,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
I'd say that if they don't make this right very quickly you should call the state RE board and report it.
Even if they do make it right really quickly a complaint needs to be filed with the RE board.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:41 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,131,405 times
Our check was made out to the listing/selling agency - ie, the same agency whose check bounced.

We've had no communication from them - there's been no apology, no nothing. Except silence. Plenty of silence.

The state real estate commission is aware of this. We've not made a formal complaint as of yet, but they are aware.

I hate, really hate, having to threaten legal action, but as we're at day five and nothing, I'm starting to think we've not been left with much choice.

ETA: Folks, we're not talking vast sums of money here. In fact, it's a rather small amount. The fact that they can't pay out this small amount... well, the word "insolvent" springs to mind.

Last edited by FiveHorses; 04-23-2010 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: added thought

Old 04-23-2010, 09:58 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,266,300 times
Trust accounts are sort of sacred. To commingle funds (which is the only way a trust account check might bounce) is definitely grounds for a license revocation. We aren't even allowed to have the bank pay us interest on a trust account in CA.

You wouldn't have to take any legal action, your state RE licensing board will.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post

Our check was made out to the listing/selling agency - ie, the same agency whose check bounced.

We've had no communication from them - there's been no apology, no nothing. Except silence. Plenty of silence.

The state real estate commission is aware of this. We've not made a formal complaint as of yet, but they are aware.
Please do so.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:59 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,418,388 times
Definitely agree with some of the others here. A real estate company in Idaho is not allowed to commingle trust account funds with their normal operating income (or any other money, for that matter). Our account and files get audited about every 18 months to make sure of it.

Commingling funds is among the biggest things a real estate company can do wrong, and can cause the entire office to be shut down and the broker to lose their licence.

However, there is a SMALL possibility this was a mistake. We've had one time that something like this could have happened to us.

Case in point:

We had a client write us a check for $3000. We deposited it in trust upon acceptance. A couple days later, the buyer and seller agreed by addendum to release the EM to the seller as nonrefundable EM. So we wrote a check to the seller. About a week later, we got notice that the BUYER's check they wrote to us bounced. Our check to the seller still cleared because of other client's funds we had in that account. We had to write a check from the real estate account to the trust account to cover the balance until we could square it with the buyer (done at the real estate commission's instructions) However, if we had had to write a bunch of other checks out during that few days between when the check to us bounced and when we found out about it, those checks might have bounced.

So it CAN happen legitimately, it just is super super rare.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:04 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,755,019 times
Even when you get your money back, you still need to file a claim against listing agent/broker against the Code of Ethics. They have no right depositing money when there is no ratified contract. And to not make sure there are always adequate funds in the account when sending out checks is way wrong. There is probably co-mingling going on, which again, is against the Code of Ethics.

File a complaint or it'll happen again!

Old 04-23-2010, 12:53 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,131,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
File a complaint or it'll happen again!
Actually, that's one of our concerns - ie, that it's happening/has happened to others too.

Lacerta - I do appreciate that once every blue moon a weird and wonderful circumstance comes along and the proverbial hits the fan. Fine, fair enough. However, your company made sure it did not happen (transferring funds), so although it might have been a close call... that's all it was.

It's funny.... we're really not difficult people. Had someone from the agency concerned called or emailed or had made some effort to say, "Gosh, look, we're ever so sorry - it was a clerical/accounting/banking error. We're going to put this right tomorrow. " I probably never would have even posted here and just chalked it up to experience.

Thanks everyone. I truly do appreciate the input.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:58 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,418,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
They have no right depositing money when there is no ratified contract.
Actually, that depends too. Our contracts say "Earnest Money to be deposited in trust account ___ upon receipt or ___ upon acceptance by all parties." So, depending how the contract was filled out, it could be totally correct for EM to be deposited immediately.

I've also overheard clients telling agents in the office that in xxx state that they moved from, it was normal for agents to deposit EM immediately upon receipt. So I think that is regional, and is definitely contract dependent.

Don't get me wrong. I think there is a 99.999% chance the company in question has messed up badly, and should be reported, at least for investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate