Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:48 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times

Advertisements

Real Estate Attorny and Home Inspector are a complete waste of money, if the condition of the property and the contract are all perfect. But, if anything is not right, they are worth every penny you spent to protect your investment. i know many people who poo-pooed using attorneys and inspectors and they saved that money, i also know some some who had something not right and they wished now they used those people. Inspectors and attorneys are not there to help you when everything is right, they are there because things are not always right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 06:00 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,436,540 times
No contract is perfect.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:56 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Right, but the OP said it was being sold by a flipper.

"I know the home was bought a year ago by a flipper."
I should learn to read better. No way would I buy a flipper home without an inspection and more importantly 90% of the time I would not buy a flipper home period.

Usually a flipper home has been updated as cheaply as possible, not always but usually.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:59 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Why can't you just counter with a clause that you will keep the home inspection contingency but you won't ask for repairs? I just did that for a contract. The sellers don't want to be nit picked over repairs. My buyers don't want to nit pick so we just reassured the sellers with a clause that they wouldn't ask for repairs...BUT they keep the right to walk away with their earnest money if they don't like what they see. Inspection went just as we planned (issues with the house are pretty obvious), and are moving with no repairs done. Just like we agreed.

And no...I'm not aware of any state where it is standard for a seller to strike the clause. The seller has a concern. Your agent needs to deal with their concern and solve the problem in a way that protects you.

As for folks that insist on using an attorney...each state is different. Oregon has a 9 page attorney written contract that is great. I don't know we have access to a couple hundred pages of attorney written contracts for our use. The real estate attorneys in town will tell you that hiring them to look it over for a regular real estate transaction is a waste of money because it is a well thought out and relatively fair contract. If something goes wrong, then we bring in the attorneys, or agents like myself have a real estate attorney on retainer and I just call him directly as part of my service to my clients. If I need clause help, or something weird is happening I'll talk with him. I chat with my attorney 3-4 times a year over something that is happening in a transaction.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Wow, this would never be legal or allowed to happen in North Carolina, but then, every state is different.
I know nothing about North Carolina law. I do know that two parties could agree to waive the inspection contingency in a real estate contract.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:08 AM

As an alternative, consider requesting a pre-offer home inspection. This way you know going into the offer what if any issues will require mitigation and factor this into the price you offer.

If the inspection shows unacceptable issues, you are of course free to walk away or use them to negotiate price and terms. If it does not work out, you are out of pocket the cost of the inspection, no different than if the contract had the customary home inspection clause and you decided to walk.

A buyer willing to pay for a home inspection before an offer is a serious buyer.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:19 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
...As for folks that insist on using an attorney...each state is different. Oregon has a 9 page attorney written contract that is great....
Same here. Our local Association attorney is very well respected and has literally written the book on AZ real estate legal issues: Arizona Real Estate: A Professional’s Guide to Law and Practice

Old 04-23-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Same here. Our local Association attorney is very well respected and has literally written the book on AZ real estate legal issues: Arizona Real Estate: A Professional’s Guide to Law and Practice
Same here and yet the standard contract provides for an attorney review contingency by both parties.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:55 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
It's not something you have to agree to - it's part of the seller's counter offer. Usually when we think of a counter offer we think only about the sales price. In fact the seller can make a counter offer that changes terms (just like what you are talking about).

For your deal - I'd have reservations about taking the entire inspection clause out. Your idea is not bad, (making the $1,000 + repairs an out), another is to make the inspection deadline VERY quick (that way the seller knows if the deal is moving forward or not & has not had the property off market for very long).

Old 04-25-2010, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,078 times
I am a licensed home inspector in Illinois. For someone to back out of a contracted based on the small maintenace or repair items that can be taken care of easliy for a few dollars is not unrealistic. I always suggest to my clients that they will need to budget for the small items that need maintenace or repiar when they move in and that they should coontinue to budget for future repairs or maintenance. If there is a major concern that will cost $1,500 or more then they need to get a qaualified contractor in that field of expertise to evalate and make a proposalto repair or replace. Common sense and logic need to come into the process inspection process when relating it to the over all cost of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate