Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:50 AM

14 posts, read 32,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
If the buyer broker commission is being paid through an agreement in the MLS, then it's the listing broker paying the commission, not the seller.

In most listing agreements, the seller pays the listing agent the total commission, and then the listing broker offers a portion of their commission to the buyer broker through the MLS. To change the amount paid, the MLS agreement should be updated before a contract is signed, or the buyer broker and listing broker need to have a new commission agreement signed.
The money comes from the seller and is the seller's expense at closing. It's not in some magic fund held by the Listing Agent. The reduction was negotiated by me with the Buyer's Agent in order to lessen my expense so I could accept her offer price. The savings would have been mine. She should have stood by her agreement, accepted it and been gone forever. Based on what you said, you think it's acceptable to make an agreement in order to make a sale and then collect for it later. Hmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 11:56 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrinav View Post
The money comes from the seller and is the seller's expense at closing. It's not in some magic fund held by the Listing Agent. The reduction was negotiated by me with the Buyer's Agent in order to lessen my expense so I could accept her offer price. The savings would have been mine. She should have stood by her agreement, accepted it and been gone forever. Based on what you said, you think it's acceptable to make an agreement in order to make a sale and then collect for it later. Hmmm.
I didn't say I agree with what the buyer agent did in your case. If she agreed to reduce commission, then she should have lived up to that. I'm saying technically, she may be owed the full commission if she and the listing agent did not have a written agreement to change the amount owed.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
How much stress and strain would have been averted in this sorry thread if agreements were in writing?
Something around 100%, methinks.

"He said, She said" claims tend to drift away in the face of written agreements.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:15 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrinav View Post
Do you understand that the seller is paying the commission, not the listing agent? If a seller needs to reduce her out of pocket expense and in doing so an agreement is made in order to reach a contract price, you think it's fine to agree and then sue for it? To make a sale? Is that what you are saying?
Can you update when you have a final response? Just for curiosity sake(in my case)
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate