Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:17 PM

450 posts, read 5,021,808 times

Advertisements

I am very interested in buying a house that is about .30 mile from high tension power lines. I am very worried about the health effects, though from the EMFs. I am planning on getting pregnant in the next year and wonder about the effects on the fetus. There is also a power substation about .40 mile from the house.

I'm really conflicted. I really like the house and it's perfect for us but at the same time, I'm concerned about the health risks from the lines. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 06:31 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,053 times
I searched the web for you, here's a post I found:

I spent most of my career working as an environmental engineer and, based on what I have seen and know, I'm more cautious about environmental exposures than most people. Studies on health risks from Electromotive Fields (EMFs) have been inconclusive or contradictory. However, there are a couple of things I'm going to tell you that should help.

First, you have exposure to EMF already -- wherever you are -- from the power lines that come to your house, from the wiring in your walls, from your appliances and tv, computer monitor, stereo speakers, electric blanket, AC-powered snooze alarm, and your cell phone, to name a few.

Second, if the lines you were worried about were next door to me, it would bother me (although it wouldn't bother everyone). However, 1/4 mile away is pretty far in EMF terms. That's because the strength of the EMF falls off exponentially as you move away from it. (If you move from being at a point, say, 80' away to one that's, say, 1280' away, any EMF you can measure has dropped off to about 1/250 -- less than 1/2 of 1% -- of what it would be at the closer distance). For that reason, it's possible that any EMF you could measure at the house from those high power lines 1/4 mile away could be less than from the power line coming into your home and the wires that run down your street.

Lastly, if you wear your seatbelt, don't smoke, and look both ways when you cross the street, you'll have eliminated far more risk than I think those lines pose.

If you want more technical info, email me and I'll give you a couple of references. However, I'm inclined to think that you should focus on whether you'll be comfortable psychologically, rather than fret about the science.

Look here for the site: Living near power lines - how close is too close? - Buying and Selling Homes Forum - GardenWeb

You can email the guy that this came from to get more information.

Z

Old 04-23-2010, 06:50 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,517 times
I lived near some for about 2 years...It didn't bother me. I got pregnant while living there too, lol! I would say the distance was less than what you are describing...I could throw a rock and probably hit them. (Well, maybe a tennis ball)

I also lived near a nuc plant and that DID bother me. I said it didn't but over time it drove me nuts.

My thinking is if you are on the fence then don't do it. Buying a house is a BIG financial decision and once you do it, you do it. You need to be fairly sure of this kind of purchase. Now, my guess would be that this house is lower priced due to the lines? I don't know...just a guess. SO maybe you are getting more bang for your buck.

GOod luck no matter what you do. Maybe go look at a few more homes and maybe that will give you some clarity!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
From a visual point, people don't care for them and can be a hard resale.

There are power lines buried in your yard that put out more waves then the high power lines at a distance. I'd bet everyday you and your kids cross those buried power lines at schools, businesses, etc and never realize it.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:10 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,425,743 times
There is NO proof that power lines do anything unhealthy to you. Never has been.

However, you're obviously nervous about it, so the fact that you're stressing about it may be unhealthy to you. If you're concerned enough to post about it here, you'll regret buying there because you'll constantly worry about it and you'll be miserable.

Resale wise, it sucks if you can see the power lines near the house. It's unattractive, so it makes the house very hard to sell.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:29 PM

450 posts, read 5,021,808 times
You can't see the power lines from the house or yard. Also, the proximity of the power lines has not affected the houses' prices at all in this neighborhood. This is a very popular neighborhood. I spoke with residents who live in the neighborhood during a walk around the neighborhood and no one seems to have any concerns about them, which I find interesting. However, I mapped the distance and it is .3 of a mile.

It does concern me, though. On the other hand, we've been house hunting for over 8 months and this house is really the best one we've seen.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:41 PM

93 posts, read 438,801 times
I wouldn't even consider a house near high tension lines. I do worry about unknown, unproven health risks, but I also think they are damn ugly. There are plenty, plenty of houses out there - why stick yourself with one near HTL's? Think of the house as an investment, that house & that land is likely not to appreciate nearly as well as the same house a mile away. You go to resell it and that house had better be immaculate to compete with a similar house that doesn't have that objection to overcome.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2010, 07:39 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,313,517 times
And as someone said...if you are having doubts, then when you go to sell you may be having problems selling. How long has the house been on the market?

Old 04-24-2010, 08:19 AM

634 posts, read 1,558,410 times
FHA will not finance a home that close to major power lines anymore. Visit their web site and find why to your satisfaction----there has to be a good reason for it.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post

FHA will not finance a home that close to major power lines anymore. Visit their web site and find why to your satisfaction----there has to be a good reason for it.
I visited the FHA/HUD website and found information contrary to this:

The appraiser must indicate whether the dwelling or related property improvements is located within the easement serving a high-voltage transmission line, radio/TV transmission tower, cell phone tower, microwave relay dish or tower, or satellite dish (radio, TV cable, etc).
1) If the dwelling or related property improvement is located within such an easement, the DE Underwriter must obtain a letter from the owner or operator of the tower indicating that the dwelling and its related property improvements are not located within the tower’s (engineered) fall distance in order to waive this requirement.
2) If the dwelling and related property improvements are located outside the easement, the property is considered eligible and no further action is necessary. The appraiser, however, is instructed to note and comment on the effect on marketability resulting from the proximity to such site hazards and nuisances.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate