Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2007, 03:06 PM

41 posts, read 305,643 times

Advertisements

I'm about to put my house on the market and would like advice as to the best way to attract a buyer. Obviously, it's a buyer's market and there are tons of houses for sale in my area, Maple Valley. I've spent the last 5 months perfecting my house for sale and I think it looks great. I've sought out and followed through with every staging advice I could come across.

What I need to know at this point is how to market the house in terms of pricing and bonuses. Is it better to price the house as low as I can go or is it better to offer to pay the buyer's closing costs and price it that much higher? Or I could go somewhere in the middle and offer a buyer bonus. Here are the numbers I was thinking:

a) $420,000 includes $12,000 closing costs paid

or

b) $413,000 includes $5,000 buyer bonus

or

c) $408,000 bottom line

My house is unique for the area with a half acre yard, 3 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, 3 car garage, built in 1994 and in good condition. A similar house down the street has been on the market for over a month at $424,900 with no bonuses whatsoever. I would like to sell before fall.

I am not seeking legal advice, only opinions based on experience with what current buyers are wanting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 08:04 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,190,159 times
It all depends...

Some of it is local custom.

Generally price is the biggest mover. Given a set of houses of roughly equal value the least expensive sells first.

If you are in a big hurry and it is reasonably important to you to move out quickly...pick your bottom price.

If you can wait a few months and it is not the end of the world if it goes six or nine...go for the best reasonable price. And then wait.

I always price with at least two points to give away. I don't care how sophisticated they are...they always want a bargain.

I am skeptical of agent or buyer spifs. In the dicker you can agree to provide closing costs and such. Another reason to start out a couple of points high. Cover the buyers agent at the going rate...they are elephants...never forgive nor forget. Stomp all over your case if crossed.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:45 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,194 times
I'm not a REA, but I'll share our experience as recent sellers in Western WA. We didn't price our home based on what the other homes were priced; we went by what other comparable homes had sold for in recent months. The homes in our neighborhood were way overpriced; therefore, they stayed on the market for months at end and would be taken off for a month and relisted. Like you, we wanted to sell so we aimed to price fairly. Our home had a great location, great lot, and was in excellent condition so the price attracted a lot of potential buyers. The first weekend we got multiple offers. I don't think you need to mention offering closing costs. It's something you can negotiate as part of the contract. Also, if your home if fairly priced, you can get an offer above asking price to include closing costs. That way you'll be getting most of your asking price. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:46 AM

41 posts, read 305,643 times
Thanks to both of you! I'm considering just going with the lowest price now. I'm starting think that would attract more buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate