Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 11:30 AM

424 posts, read 2,340,564 times

Advertisements

He takes 1-2 photos of the outside of the house. Crooked.

These are included with his MLS listings. No interior photos. Not much description of the house.

On his website there are no listings. No photos AND no words. just his phone number.

On his magazine page there are words about properties, no photos.

Does that clarify things?

I think you may be onto something with the "bait and switch", didn't know that's what it was called. I was guessing he thinks with his name plastered everywhere but no actual information about the interiors of the houses, you'll want to call him and then he can convince you to use him. I can see that from a buyer's point of view, but he must get good numbers because I can't see why sellers would want to use him if he isn't going to market their property hardly at all (he does put ads in the local paper about properties he's listing. No photo ads, of course )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 07:04 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
He could be one of the discount brokers who sells only access to putting the information in the MLS. These guys usually post the pics and info provided by the seller and many times it is next too being very bad.

Many times these brokers do show quite a lot of sold properties but if an agent runs listings that have been cancelled, expired and withdrawn by the broker there will be a very, very large amount of those that did not sell. His expired ratio to sells is high and many times his clients never hear about that but how many homes he does not sell. Many times his Day on Market average is extremely high if you figure in homes that went off the market.

They get the up front money whether the house sells or not. There is no incentive to have good information in the MLS.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:36 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,986,546 times
"owner wants cash out" - indicates to me they are distress properties. They may not be a photo-opt properties. What I'm saying is they may be so trashy that photos don't help. The bottom line is if they get sold = job well done!

Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 PM

424 posts, read 2,340,564 times
Rakin, I hadn't thought of him being a discount/paid upfront agent. There is another one of those here, but it's very obvious that's what she is because it's the "assist 2 sell" chain and the low price is plastered all over her website. However, she takes lots of pictures and has a very informative website.

MMichelle-- I dont' think they are distress properties, at least not all of them because I've seen some of them or seen them as listed FSBO or otherwise before this guy picks them up. We almost bought one of them, the inside was a pleasant surprise, it was kept up well and there was no reason to not take photos of it. It's not a high-distress area either really, not that I would know, but doesn't seem like it. There are dumps, but plenty of people don't seem to have a problem posting photos of them

Our agent told us "owner wants cashed out" doesn't mean much, just that the owner wants a lump sum of $$ instead of offering owner financing, which is kind of obvious already. He also often writes "as is where is" even on nice stuff, just to avoid drawn out haggling or something. Or maybe he just has to write something on the MLS and that's all he can think of beyond the number of beds and baths. Everyone else writes about the updated flooring or the proximity to parks or something like that. Maybe this guy should hire me to help him come up with some better lines, and I can take photos better too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate