Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
As far as I know they pull from the same database they get the taxes from, public records. I guess that some areas are just really slow posting them. I know that in my neighborhood they post within a week. My Zillow estimate is down $2,000 since the new immigration law
For CA, Zillow, Reator, Trulia show (just about everything); For Huntsville AL, they don't show recent sales and square footage - just like the local ValleyMLS.com doesn't show them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 09:39 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,910,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
As mentioned before, not in all states.
What states do not make this information available? I'm curious and would like to contact appraisers in those areas for feedback.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:43 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,577,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
What states do not make this information available? I'm curious and would like to contact appraisers in those areas for feedback.
  • Alaska
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Louisiana
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • New Mexico
  • North Dakota
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Wyoming
Source: http://www.fastvalues.com/fastvalues_nondisclosure.html (broken link)

Although, I think Idaho may have recently changed to a disclosure state.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:59 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I'm sure you are aware but appraisers are members of the local MLS systems so they have access to sold information. Just like the tax appraisers who appraise for tax purposes.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:09 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
I'm with Rakin (no surprise, I live in Texas, and, yes, we DO appreciate our privacy and DON'T hold that just because someone else thinks it might benefit THEM for our private information to be made available to all and sundry to satisfy their curiousity, that means that we should be required to do so).

It's entirely possible for a buyer to get that information by working with an agent who has access to the MLS in the area you are looking in; of course, that means that they must also disclose who they are and what their reason for wanting the private information of another party is, so you could also consider it a security matter, if you wished.

I find it amazing that there are people who are perfectly content having their private matters published for anyone to see (celebrities who are paid for the privilege aside, of course), and even more amazed that there are people who have such a sense of entitlement that they think they are OWED access to that information and feel no sense of embarrassment at demanding that it be made readily available to them.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:44 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm with Rakin (no surprise, I live in Texas, and, yes, we DO appreciate our privacy and DON'T hold that just because someone else thinks it might benefit THEM for our private information to be made available to all and sundry to satisfy their curiousity, that means that we should be required to do so).

It's entirely possible for a buyer to get that information by working with an agent who has access to the MLS in the area you are looking in; of course, that means that they must also disclose who they are and what their reason for wanting the private information of another party is, so you could also consider it a security matter, if you wished.

I find it amazing that there are people who are perfectly content having their private matters published for anyone to see (celebrities who are paid for the privilege aside, of course), and even more amazed that there are people who have such a sense of entitlement that they think they are OWED access to that information and feel no sense of embarrassment at demanding that it be made readily available to them.
Of course, when YOU violate someone's privacy, it is OK, because you're making money.

How absurd, to try and turn this into a moral argument of privacy, when you are violating the very privacy "rights" you supposedly stand for!

Last edited by le roi; 05-06-2010 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-06-2010, 03:22 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,577,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Of course, when YOU violate someone's privacy, it is OK, because you're making money.

How absurd, to try and turn this into a moral argument of privacy, when you are violating the very privacy "rights" you supposedly stand for!
Your argument makes no sense. The data in the MLS is put there with the free will of those wishing to use the MLS service to sell their home. They agree to allow agents to utilize the data for promoting their home sale. There is no privacy violation unless a rogue agent were to disseminate the data to those not involved in their transactions.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:32 PM

178 posts, read 540,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What someone paid for their home should have zero bearing on what their home is currently worth.
I agree, and I had that argument with the town after I bought my last place. They raised the taxes on the house based on the sales price. I'm told it's not SUPPOSED to happen that way but can and does.

In this kind of area it's good to know what others paid for their homes too so you can gauge if this arbitrary B.S. is being applied evenly across the board, or only to those who aren't blood relatives of town officials

Old 05-07-2010, 04:49 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Your argument makes no sense. The data in the MLS is put there with the free will of those wishing to use the MLS service to sell their home. They agree to allow agents to utilize the data for promoting their home sale. There is no privacy violation unless a rogue agent were to disseminate the data to those not involved in their transactions.
welcome to the discussion. we are not discussing the legality of the existing systems, we are debating their merits.

the Horse Lady was hypocritically trying to turn this into a moral argument of privacy, that it is morally wrong for the public to have this information, but it is morally fine for Realtors to offer it in the MLS for anyone willing to pay the fee.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:53 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
we've already established that each state's method is legal. that was never the issue, and you are changing the subject.

the Horse Lady was hypocritically trying to turn this into a moral argument of privacy, that it is morally wrong for the public to have this information, but it is morally fine for Realtors to have it in the MLS.
In those states it is an issue of privacy. Giving certain people permission to see something is not the same thing as giving everyone permission to see something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate