U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 03:55 PM

96,861 posts, read 95,416,279 times

Advertisements

there are always those that will just never act and always have a reason they are waiting to invest or buy something.

the reality is these are the same people who complain about never making money in anything they finally do act on.

usually their brains kill every attempt by forcing them to believe their own bull about all the possible negatives of acting at this time.

they avoided the markets last year because we were going down, they avoided buying a home for fear they may fall further.... they wait for this ,they wait for that and the reality is they wait so long for the ship to come in the pier collapases...

as an investor for decades i have always bought while it looked like we were going to hell in a handbasket.. i got to the party to early sooooo many times i cant even count... but then i waited , and waited , and like always the wait was well worth it and each time the rewards for showing up to the party a little to early have always been well worth the wait.

so i missed the bottom ,big deal , infact ill gladely miss the last 15% or so and come out great over time.

i tell this story alot because it bears repeating: but no one is worse at timing markets then me. back in 1987 i bought my first investment co-op in nyc for 78,000 or so .... 2 weeks later the stock market crashed and took real estate with it. my new investment plunged into the mid 50's by the time the smoke cleared.

it took a decade until the rents even crossed the line where it covered my costs.

well today the apartment is worth many times what i paid and if it wasnt for the fact that it comes up on the forums lately i wouldnt even remember the fact it dropped .

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-10-2010 at 04:06 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate