Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 01:17 AM

371 posts, read 940,885 times

Advertisements

Hi guys we all know location of a real estate is the most important factor, however even if it's a good location now, businesses might move out later for whatever reason, the good location might become a bad location, vise versa a bad location now might become a good location few years later from things moving in, train station stops etc.

So when we pick a house and location, how do you know that the area will be a good area for as long as possible? what do you look at? and what to look for for that bad location that might become a good location later?

also it might take awhile for a good area to turn into a bad area..anyone know like how many years for that to happen? what factors to make that happen etc? everyone says location location location, but it won't be a good location forever so what should we look for? thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 06:26 AM

7 posts, read 22,674 times
Default Office Space New York

Start Business in some reputed place
like London,Manchester,New-york,Liverpool.
I think these area will never turn to bed area
for the real estate business

Old 05-08-2010, 06:35 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
School Performance
Location to "Plan B" jobs
Diverse industries
Taxes
Politics

Old 05-08-2010, 09:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Interesting question with no single answer fits all.

I think it necessary to distinguish between urban vs. urban/ suburban vs. suburban vs. rural areas. What compels change in one area may not hold water in another.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:53 AM

948 posts, read 2,792,123 times
That is most likely a good area specific question for a local forum, but in general - Shakespeare "past is prologue" is the closest thing I could say in regards to an area I know little about - look at what makes the good location good - all areas have ups and down - and IMO there is no sure thing - Tornado's, floods, fires, the packing up of a major industry etc. all things that could kill almost any area with little notice.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:17 AM

434 posts, read 1,309,628 times
Honestly, if anyone had all of the answers to the OP they'd be Trillionares! There are so many variables, not the least of which are rentals vs owner occupied ratios.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:23 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
I agree with Charles that school performance is one of the best indicators of the health of a neighborhood. Parents will always be drawn to neighborhoods with long histories of strong schools. I think that works for suburban neighborhoods. Urban neighborhoods have more flux, I think because there tends to be revitalization going on somewhere.

As for an area going "bad," I can think of one neighborhood in Salem where it was quite decent when we moved here 11 years ago and now has gone the other way. The thing is, in order for a neighborhood to be revitalized it means that those lower income families have to be pushed somewhere else. In order for one neighborhood to improve it means another one needs to degrade in order to make living affordable for them. Landlords can't charge cheap rent AND maintain their properties.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:51 AM

371 posts, read 940,885 times
true about school...parents move to a new location just for the school all the time

So for that Salem neighborhood....how did it go bad?

Old 05-08-2010, 11:54 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
true about school...parents move to a new location just for the school all the time

So for that Salem neighborhood....how did it go bad?

There was a increase in crime which drove homeowners out. The majority of that neighborhood is rentals now. I would definitely look at crime trends. It's kind of sad. It was a nice working class neighborhood with well maintained homes. Overgrown lawns seem to be closer to the norm now.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

The thing is, in order for a neighborhood to be revitalized it means that those lower income families have to be pushed somewhere else. In order for one neighborhood to improve it means another one needs to degrade in order to make living affordable for them. Landlords can't charge cheap rent AND maintain their properties.

There is no denying that Section 8 housing vouchers have contributed to revitalization in some areas and a decline in other areas, within greater Chicagoland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate