Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:09 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times

Advertisements

As they say - every market is local - every HOA is different. Before buying your should review the HOA's gov. docs and financial statements. Some HOAs are not doing well - others are fine with no change. It really depends. As a general statement, - in our areas - the HOAs of more "upper end" housing seems to be doing fine - the lower end are having a harder time. Again, that's a general statement - it really varies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 04:14 PM

163 posts, read 452,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I saw some posts and listings where the HOA fee is $200 a MONTH... are they serious? I pay $200 a YEAR... albeit the community doesn't have a community pool or anything but if there was one, I wouldn't use it...
We pay almost $200 a month and don't have a pool. Our fees cover all the landscaping and winter snow removal, garbage, water and insurance which covers the exterior of all buildings including balconies and roofs as well as the grounds.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:32 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are a condo associations in large cities that require $3500+ a month. This does not include property taxes or utilities.
Wow... that's a lot of money... for that much money, I expect home massage service and a personal cook... hehehe...

Old 05-24-2010, 04:36 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are a condo associations in large cities that require $3500+ a month. This does not include property taxes or utilities.
With all due respect, comparing suburbian neighborhood HOA fees that homeowners who are responsible for their own insurance , maintenance and overall property upkeep of their enitre property must pay with luxury urban condos with lots of amenities and probably concierge services, cable TV, maintenance and insurance on everything except what is inside the interior walls ...is hardly an apples to apples comparison.

If I had a home in a suburban neighborhood in a subdivision, I'd become very active in the association. As an owner, I would not take escalating HOA fees with no additional services, lying down. However, with hyperinflation looming in the near future, it is probably inevitable. I'd suggest to the association that maintenance people accept less or their hours be cut back and that the owners themselves pitch in and take up the slack.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:44 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thndrcloud View Post
We pay almost $200 a month and don't have a pool. Our fees cover all the landscaping and winter snow removal, garbage, water and insurance which covers the exterior of all buildings including balconies and roofs as well as the grounds.
We pay around $200 per month. It does not include garbage or water and we do not have snow removal. It does include maintenance of all the common areas, which are heavily landscaped, 3 pools, 2 manned gatehouses, a playground, outdoor hockey rink, soccer fields, miniature golf, and insurance on the common areas. We think it's pretty reasonable because the community looks great and we get a lot for our money.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:11 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I pay $250 a year. That covers a pool, playgrounds, lots of landscaping, snow removal, a lake and a few other things. How they cover all that for such a low fee I haven't figured out yet, but I'm not complaining.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:17 AM

43 posts, read 158,613 times
Where I live, $200 per month is just a little over the average. $160 is the average here. If you dont like it, then buy a single home.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:01 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagirl34 View Post
Where I live, $200 per month is just a little over the average. $160 is the average here. If you dont like it, then buy a single home.
There can be HOA's for single family homes. Mine is.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:07 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
There can be HOA's for single family homes. Mine is.
So is mine. Nearly any gated community will have an HOA.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:08 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagirl34 View Post
As manderly6 said, HOA's for single family homes are common, especially here in the Phoenix area. Condos generally run $100-$200/mo, higher depending on amenities and utilities included. Single family HOA's are generally lower. Condo fees include building maintenence, where as for single family, the owner maintains the building. Some single family HOA's include front yard maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate