Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 AM

79 posts, read 238,293 times

Advertisements

I am currently in escrow on a condo in Los Angeles. The property already has been screened by a termite company and has been noted as having termites. The HOA has already collected special assements by current owners to go to the repairs of common areas the HOA is responsible for.
I am wanting to have a 2nd termite inspection to get a 2nd opinion especially to recheck the inside of the property being that is what we would have to pay for should we inherit any termite problems that the 1st inspection didn't find. The seller's listing agent refuses to allow us to have another termite inspection on the property. My question is basically...
Can a Home seller refuse a buyer the right to have property inspected for termites especially since I have not lifted the inspection contingency (termite portion)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:11 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosa View Post
I am currently in escrow on a condo in Los Angeles. The property already has been screened by a termite company and has been noted as having termites. The HOA has already collected special assements by current owners to go to the repairs of common areas the HOA is responsible for.
I am wanting to have a 2nd termite inspection to get a 2nd opinion especially to recheck the inside of the property being that is what we would have to pay for should we inherit any termite problems that the 1st inspection didn't find. The seller's listing agent refuses to allow us to have another termite inspection on the property. My question is basically...
Can a Home seller refuse a buyer the right to have property inspected for termites especially since I have not lifted the inspection contingency (termite portion)?
I think this is his subtle way of telling you that you would be better off buying something else.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:28 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
The seller's listing agent refuses to allow us to have another termite inspection on the property.
Out of curiosity, what are the reasons the seller's agent is refusing to allow another inspection? (What's their side of the story?)

Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Buy elsewhere. Why would you want to buy a problem property?

Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I think this is his subtle way of telling you that you would be better off buying something else.
Exactly. If there's nothing to hide, then why the holdback? A seller telling the buyer that they cannot have another inspection is a BIG RED FLAG that they're hiding something.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:00 AM

79 posts, read 238,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Out of curiosity, what are the reasons the seller's agent is refusing to allow another inspection? (What's their side of the story?)
The listing agent's has said that the place already has had a termite inspection and that should be good enough. He is claiming that he is protecting the seller's interests.

As the buyer don't I have the right to do as many inspections as I want?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:57 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
Quote:
The listing agent's has said that the place already has had a termite inspection and that should be good enough. He is claiming that he is protecting the seller's interests.
Protecting the seller's interest ... to hide something. Seriously, if it's all fine, then what is the big deal? Your agent (you do have one, right?) needs to put pressure on the listing agent.

Quote:
As the buyer don't I have the right to do as many inspections as I want?
As long as it's on the buyer's dime and the inspections are non-destructive, then a good seller would let them have at it. Beyond the general home and termite inspections, folks routinely have separate HVAC, electrical, plumbing, and roofing inspections too. In more severe cases, structural engineers are brought in too.

So when a seller holds back, that's a red flag to me.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
If you are paying for it, I don't see the problem, on the other hand if there were termites and it was treated I think you are being paranoid. Again, I don't think I have ever heard of someone wanting another inspecition, but what do I know. What did the original report show? I am a little confused, you are talking about outside common grounds, but what about the inside? As an x real estate agent, I am not sure I agree with everyone else on this. I will repeat, I don't understand why they would be fighting this.

Nita

Old 05-25-2010, 03:55 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
Having worked construction for 35 years, I find all homes have termites. My house passed termite inspection when I bought. In remodeling, all studs in walls I have opened have had termite damage.

If I built a new home I would use all steel framing.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:19 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
The real question is who did the inspection(what company) and did they certify it? A house won't clear escrow unless the work is done and if there are termites in a condo and they won't tent it the only other solution that will clear escrow generally is a heat treatment and those only clear out the areas treated(attic heat treatments are popular in townhouses). Any termite company worth their salt will not certify anything less than a heat treatment(Timbor, orange oil, drill and treat, etc do not eradicate infestations), so you should accept no less.

http://www.pestboard.ca.gov/forms/inspctns.pdf (broken link)

As far as refusing the inspection, if the certification meets the qualifications the bank sets, they can do that, but, as noted in the publication above, the Structural Pest Control Board that licenses and oversees the industry suggests that buyers have their own inspection done anyways. Escrow inspections typically run 75$ or so from a reputable termite company. These aren't required by law, just by the finance companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate