Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:46 AM

220 posts, read 1,028,224 times

Advertisements

The measly $8k rebate is equal to 0.2% interest on a $175k house. So with interest rates now down 0.8% from a year ago, it is like getting a $32k rebate! How is the govt. propping up prices again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 05:32 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn_1000 View Post
The measly $8k rebate is equal to 0.2% interest on a $175k house. So with interest rates now down 0.8% from a year ago, it is like getting a $32k rebate! How is the govt. propping up prices again?
Can't a person use the $8k as a down payment?? That is a serious chunk of cash on say a $100,000 home. The homeowner has to come up with less money and will probably be struggling to make payments in a year because they could not afford the house in the first place w/o $8k in aid.

Stupid idea to prop up the economy in an election year. I'm surprised they aren't extending it again.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:57 AM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Unless there were the same tax credits at the same time last year how can these comparisons mean anything? Tell you what if in the next 3 months home sales continue to surge, then I'll say there is some value..my suspicion is the news wont be good and everyone will go on about how we have regressed...when in actuality we never really went forward.

Thing WILL get better, they always do. I just don't think that time is right this moment as the numbers suggest.
"Tax Credits/No Tax Credits" is just another input, not a reason to discount the numbers. It can be used to help evaluate the numbers.

Home sales don't have to surge in the next three months for conclusions to be right. Are you suggesting that price comparisons only have value to predict 'surging' markets?

All I am saying is just because you find the comparisons useless, does not mean they are.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:49 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Can't a person use the $8k as a down payment??
No. However, with FHA requiring only 3.5%, one doesn't need that much ... as long as they actually qualify.

That's the big difference between loans now and loans from a five years ago. Back then, if you had a pulse, you could get a loan ... and even then, I'm sure some bank out there would've said yes if you were dead!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:02 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Can't a person use the $8k as a down payment?? That is a serious chunk of cash on say a $100,000 home. The homeowner has to come up with less money and will probably be struggling to make payments in a year because they could not afford the house in the first place w/o $8k in aid.

Stupid idea to prop up the economy in an election year. I'm surprised they aren't extending it again.
The homeowner has to buy the house first and then apply for UP TO $8,000 in tax credits. They have to buy the house.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:20 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Can't a person use the $8k as a down payment??

Nope. You have to have the cash first, close on the house, and then you got the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate