Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:26 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times

Advertisements

I am a few weeks out on starting my next flip project. Unusual project, its a one bedroom house that is about 20 years old and has had a series of owners who have always been (per tax history) single males. So, its kind of a bachelor pad. It needs updating; downstairs are a large living/kitchen open area with fireplace, plus sliders (will be putting in french doors) to small fenced backyard, there's also a powder room, and a 2 car garage. Upstairs is a laundry area, a study nook, and a large bedroom with cathedral ceilings and master bath with walk-in closet. So we will make it slick & modern! There's enough room to configure the bathroom for a hugh "car wash" type shower (multi-nozzle) with great tiling OR the conventional bathtub/shower combo. If we do the hollywood shower, it means no bathtub in the house. Which would you do, or do you have other ideas? Not enough room to add a bathtub any place else in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
Oh, this is a townhouse community, BTW, will all the yardwork included in HOA fee.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:46 AM

504 posts, read 1,544,958 times
Is it the only bathroom in the house? I don't really care much for a tub, but my wife does.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:53 AM

409 posts, read 872,675 times
I prefer showers so a bath/shower combo in the master bath is a turn off for me. I look for a separate shower when I buying or renting. However I don't think I would buy a house with no bathtubs at all. That would limit the buying pool - people who like baths and those with kids or pets would not be interested.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:51 AM

178 posts, read 540,312 times
Agreed: a shower-only is fine for a 2 bath home, but if you only have 1 bath then you'd better have a tub or you will turn away a lot of folks. To attract the most people I'd go with a deep jetted tub and high end shower fixtures (with detachable spray head). Personally I prefer a single unit tub/shower to avoid any leaking whatsoever, but many people love a beautifully tiled tub/shower area with fabulous fixtures.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 AM

422 posts, read 1,474,653 times
i'd prefer a shower but i don't think i'll not want to buy a house just 'cos it's a tub instead of shower. but if you only have 1 bathroom..i'd agree that it's probably safer to go with a tub. best is to have both shower and tub in one bathroom....i'd really love that!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:25 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,978,515 times
My take ... look at how bathrooms are classified. Tub/shower = 1 bath. Shower only = 3/4 bath.

Since it's not that large of a property, every single bit will help, so make it a full bath (tub/shower).

Old 05-28-2010, 09:31 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
If it's the only bathroom, I'd want a tub. If for no other reason than to clean the blinds.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:43 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,895,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
I prefer showers so a bath/shower combo in the master bath is a turn off for me. I look for a separate shower when I buying or renting. However I don't think I would buy a house with no bathtubs at all. That would limit the buying pool - people who like baths and those with kids or pets would not be interested.
I don't think any family with kids would be interested in the 1BR place the OP is describing.

I think that a bath/shower is more practical in a 1BR home than a fancy shower.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:58 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,665,285 times
Personally I'd be all over the really nice shower. If it is being setup as a bachelor pad kind of place that could make sense. However, practicality would dictate the tub/shower combo in a house that only has one bathroom.

Just because it will be a combo doesn't mean it can't be modern and high end. Use the tub at the bottom and then use tile for the shower wall and integrate nice fixtures. You can sort of have it both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate