Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 03:02 PM

889 posts, read 2,711,839 times

Advertisements

We like a home that is near (half acre away from) a newer power substation. We love everything about the place. There are trees between the house and station, so we can't even see it. But would it be unhealthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 03:13 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,979,128 times
The EMF concerns are just that ... a concern. There are folks that say it's bad, while others say it's fine.

The thing is, it is a concern. Maybe not for health reasons, but the fact that you brought it up means that such will be an issue for others too, especially if you ever decide to resell it.

Ultimately, you're going to have to be the one to make that decision. Research the articles and studies, and make your own decision. Personally, I wouldn't, but then, I shy away from properties that were in a direct path from intersections, downhills, etc. too.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:18 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
The thing is, it is a concern. Maybe not for health reasons, but the fact that you brought it up means that such will be an issue for others too, especially if you ever decide to resell it.
Ultimately that's what it comes down to, if you ever intend to resell it. It doesn't really matter what you think, it's what the potential buyers think. I remember looking at a house a couple years ago that was just immaculate, and priced low for the area. It backs right onto a huge power station. On the kitchen counter the seller had all these publications on how living near one doesn't cause any harm. That house remained on the market for a long, long time through many price cuts.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:30 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
The EMF falls off very fast with distance, and I believe anything that is between you and the transformers that is conductive (which would include mature trees, give how much water they hold within them as evidenced by what happens when they are struck by lightening ...) tends to lessen the intensity of the EMF.

Obviously you have to weigh the future potential for resale, but if the property is otherwise nicer than other options at a better price that should be something that encourages your decision...

Old 06-21-2015, 06:50 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
One of the very nicest communities in my area has serious high tension wires running right down through the middle of the valley. You couldn't pay me to live near them, look at them, hear them sizzle on a humid night, nor contemplate the risk from the EMF.

The homes routinely sell for $500,000 and up...way up...and nobody seems to care.

So, OP...i wouldn't do it. Millions of others don't seem to care. There's your answer.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:14 PM

414 posts, read 296,280 times
Substations also hum pretty loudly at times.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:50 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
I know this thread is old and hopefully the OP made their decision by now. I will add that being close to a substation can have advantages if you are in an area that might lose power due to weather. The less lines between you and it the faster you will get power turned back on.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:44 AM

423 posts, read 609,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kethan View Post
A simple question will answer your question. Why will we have a discussion or discounts from builders or people even worry about if there is no effect of the substation or power lines near houses. My friends family has experienced its effects in both ways financial and health. They have it around 1 acre away in your terminology. It effects mainly on kids who have less tolerance and they suffered from the same. Realtors have many pages or articles online that says not to be worried about the health or the resale values. I question if any realtor has ever bought a house like that? After listening to my friend I decided not to go for such kind of homes even if I get 20% price difference which you may benefit when you resell it. Because you are paying less for such a thing which gets you even less when you try to sell it in-spite of the demand in your area. Demand or any other factor can play a positive factor in this particular case.
Moderator cut: Orphaned

By the way on health effect: I don't believe in EMF having health effect. My wife says why put yourself at risk if we don't know the cause-effect. So everyone has their believes. In terms of investment, don't go for the savings. Every buyer that will look at this house in the future will ask the same questions. So if you get a discount today, you will have to sell it at a discount. Better investment is to buy a desirable house.

Last edited by Jeo123; 07-11-2016 at 10:51 PM..

Old 07-11-2016, 04:04 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,834,783 times
I looked into this and found out there is a higher rate of cancer for those who live near these around the country. I've also seen houses with these substations so close sit for literally 3+ years before they sell. A LOT of people are worried about it and will not buy...

Old 07-15-2016, 03:07 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
But the electricity is so fresh and clean and strong... your lights would be so bright, the TV picture would be much clearer, the air conditioner would be so much cooler...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate