Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 08:44 AM

20 posts, read 59,099 times

Advertisements

We live in a 4yo 3bd, 2bth rancher with an an unfinished "bonus" room upstais. The electric was roughed in when the house was built and it is partially floored, but basically unfinished. We plan on selling in about 5 yrs. when I retire. I would like to finish the upstairs room. I think that if I did the work myself it would be a selling point for the house; not necessarily help us make a profit, but be more of a selling point. I wanted to put in a half bath, but I don't think that is possible. Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 08:54 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,237,878 times
I don't think there is any question it will help sell your house. Just make sure you have all the proper permits or it can actually turn in to a bad selling point.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:17 AM

1,024 posts, read 4,147,761 times
I agree, finishing the bonus room will be a selling point and will also have an impact on the price, especially if you add a half bath.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:08 PM

Default half bath

Thanks for your info; yes a half bath would be nice, but I had a plumber up there just the other day and, although running water up there wouldn't be a problem, there really isn't a good way to put a sanitary drain in; not planned in by the builder/designer I guess. Still, a finished room, even without a half bath would probably boost the selling value I think. Thanks again for your info.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:45 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,437,675 times
Do you have central air, and will it reach that room if finished? We had a 3-story twin with the same type of unfinished room on the third floor. We had it finished to use as my son's bedroom (it was quite large) but it was just too darn hot for the C/A to reach. We had to put in a window unit. Just something to think about. I agree it will be a huge selling point though -- who wouldn't want an extra usable room?

Old 06-05-2010, 06:29 AM

Default Central Air

Avalon08' Good point about C/A - yes it would have to be installed along with heat or the room would only be usable during the fall and spring. I will have to get the hvac guy in here this fall to make recommendations.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:02 AM

178 posts, read 541,695 times
I think an unfinished 2nd floor is a big turn-off. Almost anything you could do to make it look attractive and usable will be a "plus" compared to what it is now. Personally I'd love to have library/den/office bonus space with built-ins. Others might say family or game room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate