Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 06:37 PM

68 posts, read 474,749 times
I'm having a dilemma right now

1.) listing agent/seller wants us to remove loan contingency tomorrow

2.) IF we remove contingency and loan doesn't get final approved (we may lose 3% deposit $14700) but I already got CONDITIONAL approval and BOA says I "SHOULD" have no problem...but not 100% based on conditions

3.) IF we don't remove the contingency by tomorrow, seller (MAY) cancel contract and relist the house on the market or sell to someone else.

4.) Ask for extention but not really possible because appraisal value was more than the sold price, so I'm sure the seller wants to relist

Everyone says I have no problem with Loan but BOA won't be able to give final approval yet for another 2-3 business days.

So which would you gamble on ?

1.) Remove loan contingency and if loan falls, I lose $14700 (3% deposit)
2.) NOT remove loan contingency and wait for seller to retract contract (possibly tomorrow), lose house without knowing if I'll be approved or not (high chance of approval due to conditional approval letter, but not 100%)

Thanks for all your time~~~~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 06:53 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my1sthome View Post

2.) IF we remove contingency and loan doesn't get final approved (we may lose 3% deposit $14700) but I already got CONDITIONAL approval and BOA says I "SHOULD" have no problem...but not 100% based on conditions

3.) IF we don't remove the contingency by tomorrow, seller (MAY) cancel contract and relist the house on the market or sell to someone else.

4.) Ask for extention but not really possible because appraisal value was more than the sold price, so I'm sure the seller wants to relist

Everyone says I have no problem with Loan but BOA won't be able to give final approval yet for another 2-3 business days.

So which would you gamble on ?

1.) Remove loan contingency and if loan falls, I lose $14700 (3% deposit)
2.) NOT remove loan contingency and wait for seller to retract contract (possibly tomorrow), lose house without knowing if I'll be approved or not (high chance of approval due to conditional approval letter, but not 100%)

Thanks for all your time~~~~

With the way BOA and these other banks have operated since the housing collapse, why would you take the chance on giving away $14K? Heck, send me the check.
I would NOT move the contigency. If BOA drag their feet the owners could still pull out of the deal, take your money and put the house on the market.

DON'T DO IT..

Old 06-08-2010, 07:01 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,052,845 times
I wouldn't remove the contingency. Don't take the word of some stupid jerk mortgage rep telling you, you are 'conditionally approved.' It's a load of bull.
There are so many things that can go wrong with lending these days.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:11 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
there are more houses out there than buyers. do not remove it, if you lose the house there are more.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
It's probably worth less now then when you started negotiations.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
I wouldn't consider removing the contingency for one second. If it falls through it wasn't meant to be.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:38 PM

3,067 posts, read 8,405,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I wouldn't consider removing the contingency for one second. If it falls through it wasn't meant to be.
GREAT ANSWER!

Old 06-08-2010, 08:58 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my1sthome View Post

If you have an agent, what does your agent say about the situation?

It depends on what our contract requires. Are you contractually obligated to remove the contingency by tomorrow, or is it just the seller demanding that you do it? If not contractually obligated, then you don't have to remove it and the seller can't cancel. What does the contract say about missing the contingency? Is the contract automatically canceled, or is it up to the seller to cancel or not?

Is there an obligation to provide a cure period? Our contract requires that that the other party provide a cure notice to allow 3 days to correct the breach of contract. This may provide you extra time if you have a similar requirement.

Be sure you understand your contractual requirements before making a decision.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:17 PM

472 posts, read 854,694 times
Do not remove it by any means!

If the seller thinks a bird in the bush is worth more than one in the hand, let *them* take that gamble.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:32 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times
I would not remove the contingency. On what grounds can the Seller cancel the contract? They have to have some contractual reason to cancel it and you not giving in to bullying is not one of them.

I would not remove the contingency. It's there to protect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate