Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:10 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,985 times

Advertisements

What are some of the best and most up to date books on buying a home for first timers? Me and my wife have moved around a bit and rented every time, but now we are considering buying a first home and really have ZERO knowledge on the subject.

Would love to hear of any good books that would guide us so we can make our plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:12 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,879 times
Just get referrals and find a good Realtor that'll hold your hand and help guide you through the process, while educating you at the same time.

For every book recommendation that you get, you'll get people that call that same book worthless. Real estate books give you good advice, if you were buying real estate in a vacuum. Just find someone that knows your market inside and out.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:31 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Just get referrals and find a good Realtor that'll hold your hand and help guide you through the process, while educating you at the same time.

For every book recommendation that you get, you'll get people that call that same book worthless. Real estate books give you good advice, if you were buying real estate in a vacuum. Just find someone that knows your market inside and out.
I second this advice.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:49 PM

468 posts, read 1,378,916 times
check out your local library, as far as the books go.. and i agree with the other responses - find a good agent! at least by doing a little reading ahead of time, you'll have a better idea as to what to look for in an agent, and also have a little bit of knowledge about the whole process, so it won't seem intimidating

Old 06-09-2010, 07:21 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
There are a few threads on here about how to find/interview a good agent if you'll do a search for them.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:10 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,147,991 times
Okay, with all of that being said, I second that. However, I bought my first home before I was a Realtor, and like you, I wanted a book. I bought one of the Dummy series books - Homebuying for Dummies. It really breaks stuff down in simple language.

Best of luck in your home search!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:24 AM

181 posts, read 409,175 times
Check out free info online from Fannie Mae (http://www.fanniemae.com/kb/index?page=home&c=homebuyers - broken link) and HUD and NAR. Good luck and best wishes!

Old 06-09-2010, 08:37 AM

311 posts, read 1,019,301 times
Actually there is one very good book for 1st time homebuyers. It is called "The Three Little Pigs".

After you read it, I am sure you will learn not to pick a house made of straw or sticks and buy a house made from brick.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:06 AM

152 posts, read 478,126 times
Homebuying for dummies is a must read for newbies before making any move - especially before speaking with an agent (i.e get your finances in order, get mortgage pre-approval etc.)

Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 AM

577 posts, read 2,059,879 times
I'll give a third thumbs up for Homebuying for Dummies. I read it when we were beginning to plan for a move. The book offered good information about what a mortgage is, how to choose a real estate agent, the difference between a broker and an agent, financing options, and many other details that were good to know.

However, once you've learned those kinds of things (valuable for a basic background of homebuying) I'll agree that working with a great agent will help you a lot. Someone who knows the market, can advise you on many aspects of the homebuying experience (finding a mortgage broker, finding a home inspector and understanding the results of the inspection, etc.) and really serve your personal needs.

So reading the "Dummies" book will be helpful to establish a background and basic information that will help you understand the process and know a good real estate agent when you see one. Essentially the book will let you know what you don't know and should know.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate